Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Custom Made Cooler

Opossum Valley Alabama (Only in Walker County will you find a place like this)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom Made Cooler

During the summer we stripe fish. And I would like to build a custom made cooler to put them in. 25+# stripe take up alot of room. I have a Javelin 17ft boat that has the recess in front of the console. My thoughts were to build a cooloer that fills that recess and extends all the way over to the rod locker as well as makes its way toward the seats a little. More or less a deck extension that doubles as a cooler. I have a small amount of fiberglass experience but this would by far be the largest project ive ever tackled. I would like honest feedback here. dont hold back cause I really dont wanna do this twice. First I was thinking of taking green floral foam 1 1/2" thick and making a shell. Then taking fibergalss matting and covering the outside first. Would the green foam have enough insulating factor or would I need to use something else? And of course I would put a drain. Then, I was thinking more along the lines of recessing the lid with some sort of recessed handles. On the lid do you think I would need to put plywood gusset strips for support since 200+ers will be standing on it? And of corse I would cover it with carpet to match the boat. Any pics tips or anything would be greatly appreciated. Also any other ideas some of you may have on this issue. Thanks

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it not be cheaper and easier just to buy a big cooler that fit?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    Would it not be cheaper and easier just to buy a big cooler that fit?
    X2 on the cooler purchase. If you get to the Smokey Mtns there is a Coleman camping outlet store in Sevierville, TN. Last fall they had a huge tent sale and had tons of Igloo big coolers at very good prices.

Opossum Valley Alabama (Only in Walker County will you find a place like this)
    Post Thanks / Like

I prob will search for more cooler options. If i turn a big cooler stern to bow it takes up too much floor space. A 17fter doesnt have much to start. And if I turn one sideways into the recess in front of my console. the recess doesnt go all the way to the floor. It is elevated about 2". Making a 2" spacer and using a cooler would prob be much easier. Ill take some measurements tomorrow and go from there.