Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Crappie eat Perch eggs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do Crappie eat Perch eggs ?

With the screwey weather this year we got an early start on the Crappie on our favorite river backwater .
    About 2 weeks ago the Yellow Perch started spawning and the Crappie bite dropped off , they're there , just not biting as well .
    Are they gorging on Perch eggs ?
    Or is it more likely the drop back to more normal temperatures for the season ?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

While Crappie are opportunistic feeders ... I'm not sure Perch eggs are on their menu. I'm pretty sure they'd scarf up a Perch fry or fingerling, though. Sometimes it occurs that one specie of fish goes on the nest, then gets run off by weather/water conditions that are not suitable to them, and another specie likes the conditions & takes their place. Crappie don't like being disturbed, and the males guard the nest as best as their size will allow ... but, I have known Carp & Gizzard Shad spawnings to disrupt their efforts.
    If the water has cooled off enough to cause the Crappie to back off, they may still make the attempt whenever the water temps get back to their liking.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about eggs but I've seen a time where they wouldnt hit anything but a pinky nail sized piece of crappie fillet

Post Thanks / Like

I'am pretty sure that perch eggs have a posion film/layer around them that keeps fish from eating them. Maybe the perch moved in and the crappie all left that area until the eggs hatch fry. most of the spots I find perch and there eggs there are no crappie to be found. Just my thoughts not 100 percent sure

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Vermonster View Post
    I'am pretty sure that perch eggs have a posion film/layer around them that keeps fish from eating them. Maybe the perch moved in and the crappie all left that area until the eggs hatch fry. most of the spots I find perch and there eggs there are no crappie to be found. Just my thoughts not 100 percent sure
    Perch probably eat Crappie eggs but not the other way. Only poison eggs I know of are Gar fish eggs.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i like that nimrodThumbs Up
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think something may have to be moving to trigger a feeding response in the crappie. I may be wrong.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by throwback View Post
    I think something may have to be moving to trigger a feeding response in the crappie. I may be wrong.
    Shure does.............................................. .................................................. ..your bait!
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone .
    I figured it was a long shot .

The spot we fish is usually so good it's easy to get "wondering" when the bite isn't "lock & load" .
    More than likely it's a combination of the up/down temps this spring and extreme low water levels , no rain and very little snow melt from up in VT and NH .
    Add in the tidal factor and there ain't a whole lot of water in there some days .

We went yesterday 4/13 and it was still slow , water temps in the low 50's and a dropping tide .
    Managed to put 8 keepers in the livewell , and had some fun with a few good sized Pike .

Putting keepers in the livewell when fishing with my fishin' buddy isn't easy , he cry's if I try to slip in anything under 13" .
    I give about 95% of the fillets to a niece with 4 hungry kids who love fish , so I try to slip a few past him .

He said this one was too small........

Yesterdays keepers.......

This guy was watching us , gave me an opportunity to test the zoom on my camera......

Post Thanks / Like

I believe they dont but during the "fall feed up" females will typically eat smaller ones that where hatched late spring, anything that they can fit in thouse white tender mouths they will eat, except eggs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast