Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod Eyes and Repair

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Eyes and Repair

Ok.....give me some ideas for fixing rod eyes that have the ceramic punched out of em'? Got to be a ggod way or replacement for these. Using B&M poles. I know that B&M will send you a new end for $13, but I know there has to be an easy fix for this? Give me some ideas. BTW....ITS MY FAULT.....GOT A BAD HABBIT OF KNOCKING JIGS OFF LIMBS AND STAKE BEDS. I'll work on my bad habbit.banghead
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DKB ... if it's the tip eye that has the ceramic ring knocked out of it, consider replacing it with a metallic rod tip (Silicon Carbide or Titanium Carbide or Titanium Alloy). Even a cheap chromed alloy tip would work. They're pretty simple to replace. I've done it on a few rod tips, myself.

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy broken poles and rob the eyes off of them and use them for my repairs. Nylon thread available through BPS or Mudhole will do the job. Tape the new eye in place wind it from the bottom to the eye, and lay a loop of thread towards where you will finish about 6 turns from the end. When enough winds are on, cut the end and insert it in the loop and pull it under those last few wraps and trim it short. Coat with Sally Hansens hard as nails (clear nail polish) and you're ready to fish. Tips can be swapped easily by heating the old one carefully just enough to release, scrape any excess off the tip of the rod, and use 2 part epoxy to re attach. Good to go. Any thread will work, nylon sewing thread has fixed a lot of eyes over the years, but the rod building thread, gudebrod was one brand I used to use, does a very good job.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

If it is one of the guides and not the tip top just take a razor blade as close to the foot of the guide as possible and cut the thread on one side, this will allow you to flip the guide sideways and the wrapping will come with it. Clean it real well and place another guide in place, if you have a tyrap or cable tie, strap the new guide on with it, this will allow you plenty of room to start the thread wrapping. Nylon or rayon thread will work, just wrap as skeetbum suggested and then if you have any type of 5 minute epoxy just thin it with about 1/4 alcohol and brush it on. The alcohol will thin it so it will be easier to brush and slow down the drying time. The next thing you will need to do is turn the rod by hand to keep it from sagging for about 10 minutes. I would suggest that you put on one thin coat followed by a second coat to really make it look good..If you do not have any black thread just put the first coat of epoxy on then after it drys take a brush and put a coat of black paint over the thread, let it dry and re-coat and you will never notice that thread is a different color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zrdc28 View Post
    If it is one of the guides and not the tip top just take a razor blade as close to the foot of the guide as possible and cut the thread on one side, this will allow you to flip the guide sideways and the wrapping will come with it. Clean it real well and place another guide in place, if you have a tyrap or cable tie, strap the new guide on with it, this will allow you plenty of room to start the thread wrapping. Nylon or rayon thread will work, just wrap as skeetbum suggested and then if you have any type of 5 minute epoxy just thin it with about 1/4 alcohol and brush it on. The alcohol will thin it so it will be easier to brush and slow down the drying time. The next thing you will need to do is turn the rod by hand to keep it from sagging for about 10 minutes. I would suggest that you put on one thin coat followed by a second coat to really make it look good..If you do not have any black thread just put the first coat of epoxy on then after it drys take a brush and put a coat of black paint over the thread, let it dry and re-coat and you will never notice that thread is a different color.
    like this method........

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all....... appreciate it. I'll give it a whirl!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes: