Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Sensitivity

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Sensitivity

Years back most folks would always fish for crappie with a fiberglass rod since carbon fiber had not yet been invented....or it was too expensive for us common folk. So, I have a problem now finding the fiberglass in a high quality rod (ceramic guides and fuji reelseats); perhaps I am looking in the wrong places. But, which material, fiberglass or carbon fiber, will let me better feel the light bites, which with summer about here, is the next phase of crappie fishing? And if carbon, is the IM-8 better than IM-6 or 7, and just what is the difference anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/sp...ods/index.html
    maybe this will help till the pros answer you.......

Post Thanks / Like

There's not much of a market for glass rods any more. Graphite is lighter and more sensitive. If you want super sensitive, try a top-of-the-line Loomis or St. Croix and use something like Fireline. You'll feel the fish breathe on it!

I've always been more of a line watcher, though.

If you're set on fiberglass, look at the Kencor UL and super UL rods here:

http://www.rickstackle.com/

And here's a review of one of their UL rods:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkencor4.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info on the rods; think I will stick with my existing rods for now; would have to see and feel if paying that much. Have a number of UL rods, all carbon, with 308s or Shimano 500 or 1000. Might be wrong, since my favorite UL, a glass, was dropped overboard years ago, but thought it was as sensitive as the carbon, even the St Croix. Perhaps I am just remembering how well it worked...could tell if the crappie was just thinking about it..:D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The only "Carbon" rods ........

Quote Originally Posted by Castoff
    Thanks for info on the rods; think I will stick with my existing rods for now; would have to see and feel if paying that much. Have a number of UL rods, all carbon, with 308s or Shimano 500 or 1000. Might be wrong, since my favorite UL, a glass, was dropped overboard years ago, but thought it was as sensitive as the carbon, even the St Croix. Perhaps I am just remembering how well it worked...could tell if the crappie was just thinking about it..:D
    that I've ever used, were Mitchell Zero Gravity rods. Are you sure you aren't thinking of "graphite" ??
    If you like glass rods ... consider IM6 graphite rods, like the Sam Heaton Super Sensitive from BnM. They are lighter, but just as strong, and they are quite a bit more sensitive than glass ... but, not as stiff (action) as IM7 or IM8 graphite.
    There's also the BPS Micro-lite rods, that come in glass ... or the combination glass/graphite outfit - the Ugly Stick.
    For an explanation of "IM" .... read this: http://www.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=141123

I've used fiberglass, carbon, boron, and graphite rods ..... and when push comes to shove, I'll stick with graphite for overall performance and sensitivity. That's just, IMHO, the best choice for my needs and the methods I use. ........... luck2ya .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I give the St. Croix a thumbs up, awsome rods.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Crappie Wizard rods, super light and sensitive... www.crappiewizard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, yes, graphite that is. Excellent discussion on IM6 etc; had not known any of the particulars. And well understand the section modulus discussion since I had this for my BSME. Gee, thought I was all away from the techincal stuff and only had to worry about catching fish now...:D . Thanks for the eye opener on IM info.
    Probably over sensitive to strength of fiberglass rods though. Was at favorite sporting goods store and looking at an inexpensive graphite rod, just pulled the tip down and snap. I looked at the clerk and asked, OK, what do I owe? He said not to worry since folks are frequently doing that. Must have been my initial mistrust of graphite if that was a common occurence. Broke an old graphite rod a month back when getting a snag loose, and maybe 15 years back broke a fiberglass in a Scout rear window when I closed it on the rod tip. Just don't think I can bend the tip back on the graphite rods as would occur with bigger fish, so I baby them quite a bit. Again thanks for info.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Funny you should mention .....

Quote Originally Posted by Castoff
    Uh, yes, graphite that is. Excellent discussion on IM6 etc; had not known any of the particulars. And well understand the section modulus discussion since I had this for my BSME. Gee, thought I was all away from the techincal stuff and only had to worry about catching fish now...:D . Thanks for the eye opener on IM info.
    Probably over sensitive to strength of fiberglass rods though. Was at favorite sporting goods store and looking at an inexpensive graphite rod, just pulled the tip down and snap. I looked at the clerk and asked, OK, what do I owe? He said not to worry since folks are frequently doing that. Must have been my initial mistrust of graphite if that was a common occurence. Broke an old graphite rod a month back when getting a snag loose, and maybe 15 years back broke a fiberglass in a Scout rear window when I closed it on the rod tip. Just don't think I can bend the tip back on the graphite rods as would occur with bigger fish, so I baby them quite a bit. Again thanks for info.
    breaking a rod, in the store.
    Back when Ugly Sticks first came on the market, I used to hang around the local fishing shop. Became friends with the owner, and many of the customers. One day a friend of the owner was musing about the Ugly Stick not breaking when bent in a tip to handle loop. I watched, in horror and amazement, as he bent .... not one, but two ... Ugly Stick rods, and they both snapped in half That scene stuck in my mind. The owner wasn't as upset as I was .... because he knew he could return the rods for a refund/exchange. And, when I started watching the Ugly Stick commercials a little more closely, I noticed something ..... the man breaking the "other brand" rods, was holding them at the 1/4 & 3/4 position. When he bent the Ugly Stick, he held it closer to the tip and handle :rolleyes:

Overexerting the limits, of a rods capacity to flex, is going to result in a broken rod ... regardless of its composition. ............ cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ain't no expert, but bout the only time u need a sensitive pole is when u are titlining. If u are paying attention, u really don't need it then. When I titline, I hold the string lightly with me social finger. I feel a bump, I yank the pole. Worked pretty good for 50 years fer me...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast