Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to calibrate compass on Minn Kota Auto Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to calibrate compass on Minn Kota Auto Pilot

I have an auto pilot that decides to turn whenever it takes a notion. I have heard that the internal compass needs to be calibrated. Has anyone done this or is it a service center only procedure.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MK-Autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    I have an auto pilot that decides to turn whenever it takes a notion. I have heard that the internal compass needs to be calibrated. Has anyone done this or is it a service center only procedure.
    I have had my share of them and like them a lot. I have never heard of calibrating the compass but I did encounter the same problem you are having. The AP has to be within 5 degrees of level to operate properly. After shimming my AP front to back and side to side I corrected the problem and have had no more trouble. I hope this helps.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I have had my share of them and like them a lot. I have never heard of calibrating the compass but I did encounter the same problem you are having. The AP has to be within 5 degrees of level to operate properly. After shimming my AP front to back and side to side I corrected the problem and have had no more trouble. I hope this helps.....
    Don:

So if my boat is 5% off level in the water that would cause the problem. Say my bait tank is on the side an causing the boat to list 5 degrees.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Compass is magnetic north

I am no compass expert by no means, but I think compasses are calibrated with reference to magnetic north. Pitch, yaw, and roll of your boat will not affect magnetic north. What will affect compasses is the presence of permuable metals (such as iron). Other electronics can also have an affect on the compass. Git rid of your Swiss army knife, shut off other electronics, then see what happens.

My two cents worth. Been around Moose too much lately. lol
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To calibrate a compass you need to go to a Compass Rose and swing the compass. DonG is right, the shaft has to be with 5 deg of vert. Been there done that.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    Don:

So if my boat is 5% off level in the water that would cause the problem. Say my bait tank is on the side an causing the boat to list 5 degrees.

If you are trolling with the AP "on" and a boat passes causing waves you can bet it will cause the AP to start searching.

I had a Duracraft boat with a front deck that kind of turned up. Before I could get the AP to work it looked like the motor was anchored down on stilts. After I finally got it level it looked liked H___ but worked great.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Try to place shims under the back or front. Until you get it to work right. The only problem I have ever had with mine. Was the foot control made mine turn on its on one day. It would just keep turning around and around. Had to unplug the power. Then plug it back in. Also it was coming a flood and may have gotten wet.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default AP motor

Besides the leveling of the unit, the only other issue that could effect the motor would be battery voltage. Low voltage can effect the operation. I've had a good charge on my battery and the AP acted strange, turned out to be dirty connections down at the battery terminals. Make sure you have clean, corrosion free connections down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

I will check the 5 degree stuff but I have made no changes in the boat and did not have the problem until this week. I didn't have the problem in the summer when I fished in rough boat traffic with the motor on AP. The lake is calm now with virtually no traffic.
    Anyway, thanks for the advice. I was aware of the 5 degree requirement but had forgotten it. Just goes to show it is good to have a forum to discuss such problems.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

The Compass board in my Autopilot was the problem. Replaced as factory warranty with a new card. The new card was an updated version that reduces the noise and makes the trolling motor head movement smoother. I knew that was true in the newere models and kudos go to Minnkota for providing the updated board.
    For you guys that own older Autopilots you may check with Minnkota to see if an updated compass board would improve performance.