Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to Kayakers about me possibly purchasing a kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question to Kayakers about me possibly purchasing a kayak

Just to tell you a little about myself I am 6'1 and weigh 280lbs so I'm looking for a stable kayak. I have a 10ft pelican hard plastic pontoon style boat but I hate having to charge the battery and carry it to places that don't have a boat ramp. I can't hardly get my buddies to go with me either for some reason which is why I'm looking at possibly buying a kayak. I can't launch my pontoon by myself since I can't get the truck close enough to the water in most places. I am looking to fish some small lakes that you can only have electric motors on and one bigger lake just this time of year when the water is up and the crappie are up in the creek. It seems that people stop fishing here when the fish move up in the creeks and the water comes up. Most of the places I would normally bank fish from are under water and the thought of carrying my boat down to the water by myself is not at all appealing nor is the fact of having to charge the battery and carry it down there too. I just want to throw the kayak in the back of my truck and hit the road. Also, I haven't had any luck much during the summer fishing from my boat except sight fishing for smallmouth. I don't have a fish finder on it which might be part of the problem. Of course I've never put my little boat in the lake I primarily crappie fish at because the lake is to big to put in at a boat ramp with all the boat traffic and it would be major pain to carry it. Anyways I've rambled enough! What are some kayaks in my price range of around $500 to $600 that are sit on top kayaks that would support my weight. Also, do you believe this is a wise decision to switch from my little pontoon to the kayak?

Thanks guys!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like

You need to look at the Malibu line of fishing kayaks. The X Factor and the Stealth 14 would handle you just fine.
    You will have a dry ride, be able to carry as much gear as you like, as each has right at a 600 LB capacity.

I fish out of the X Factor as does my son. He is 6'4" and weighs 280#....was a college defensive lineman....

Here is a link you can gather info about them.... Malibu Kayaks, Fishing and Diving Kayaks, Sit-on-top Kayaks

Here is a pic of my yaks.....

Here is my son fishing out of his...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I can pay that much for one. Was looking possibly at the ascends on basspro but alot of people commented they were easy to turn over... I don't know about that... lol I'm hoping not to get wet :D

Post Thanks / Like

By the way those Kayaks look awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Look for used kayak...anything in the 14' range at least 32" wide will work for you. Go to this site, register and search through the for sale items. You can sometimes find some really good deals. TKAA | Tidewater Kayak Anglers Association - Index

Google Kayak Fishing Clubs Virginia and see if any are closer to you. Register as a new member and let them know what you are looking for. Sometimes the kayak shops will have demo boats at a lesser price.

Post Thanks / Like

I am 6' 240# and I have an Ascend FS12 from BassPro. This is the sit IN model fishing Yak. It is VERY stable and has lots of room for storage. I am very [leased wiName:  2012-03-22 13.26.26.jpg
Views: 14380
Size:  28.0 KBName:  2012-03-20 12.56.11.jpg
Views: 14376
Size:  39.5 KBth miine.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't restrict yourself to just sit on tops. I have the ascend fs10 sit in and I don't know why anybody would say they are not stable.The only time I have ever gotten close to winding up in the drink is when I high centered it on a stump that was just below the water surface and even then I was still able to wiggle around enough to get off the stump without tipping. This years model have a improved seat, and i think the weight limit is 500 lbs. If Im not mistaken all the Bass Pros have a test drive day where they let you paddle around in all the models. You may also consider a solo canoe.
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

What part of VA do you live in?

Appomattox Kayak (Lynchburg, Farmville, Richmond) has several demo days. Try out as many different kinds of kayaks as possible.
    Appomattox River Company

Post Thanks / Like

Southwest VA in Bristol... I'm the farthest tip of VA :D lol I could probably have better luck finding a demo day in Knoxville or something. :/

Post Thanks / Like

Try Mahoneys in Johnson city, don't know if they have yaks, but thinking I saw one mounted on the outside of their building when visiting my mom in the past. Should be some outdoors shops in the Tri-cities area, maybe Elizabethon, Erwin, etc. ??
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast