Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold front

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold front

I know normally with a cold front the fish move deeper. However I have a question, over the next couple of days the temp will be off say 10 degrees from last week. I think this will drop water temps from mid 70's to high-mid 60's. Since the water will be colloer do you think the crappie will be shallower?

Thanx for the help,

Mighty
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that the temperature difference would not make that much of a difference in the movement of the fish. Up here in the north we have temperature extremes where it will change 20 degrees every couple of days, either up or down. The fish will be in the same place just their feeding habits will change from extremely aggressive to very placid. During a real major cold front I drop down in line size from 4# to 2# and drop down accordingly in lure size also. Unless the water you fish is so small that a temperature change will effect the water temperature I wouldn't worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Temp. in Morgan Creek on Kentucky Lake today was 66 degrees. Last week it was 73 degrees. The fish had moved out to deeper water within the creek. Caught one fish in 5' of water or less. Most of the 13 fish we caught were in 10 ft. of water holding to the bottom. Fish were biting very lightly.

The goes right along with the baitfish. Most of the baitfish I saw were suspended in 10-15 ft.

Where the baitfish go the crappies will follow.