Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: stumble around, have a good day: think you are an expert.

Post Thanks / Like

Default stumble around, have a good day: think you are an expert.

I am fairly new to crappie and stupid as a rock. A couple of days and every thing clicks, putting nice fish in the boat. Two days later, a blue bird sky and I can't buy a decent fish. Same stumps, same baits...nada. I am going to have to go back to the early lessons on "why you aren't catching crappie". Do you old "pros" have the same problems or do you stay home those days. I get a few hours or a day here and there to fish. Can't pick and choose my days. Fish when I can and say it's better than working.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I get em too, but not as often as I used to. As you go through the learning process you will accumulate a bag of tricks. Sometimes you don't have to dig too deep into it, and other days you wish it had more in it. Keep pluggin away and paying attention when times are tough and you'll find out how to put at least a few in the cooler. Minnows help on tough days, but that's not written in stone either. Like you say, beats workin.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Skeetbum on this one. When nothing works that you normally do, then it is time to get creative. Mix and match different jigs with different tails. Mix up the retrieves and get aggressive and then kill it, and then get aggresive again. If you have ever watched a dying minnow in the water,try to mimmick its actions. After a front goes thru I will go to a red head 1/16th RR with a white or pearl bubble belly tail. Jig it very slow and pay attentions to the line. Bites are very light when doing this.
    I hate to quit before I figure the Crappie out. Be persistant and try different things. When they aren't biting that is the time to experiment. Nothing wasted since they aren't biting anyway. Be very vidual as to what is happening. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    Be very vidual as to what is happening. EB

Wait, What?

Vidual
    Vid"u*al\, a. [L. vidualis, fr. vidua a widow, fr. viduus widowed. See Widow.] Of or pertaining to the state of a widow; widowed. [R.] --Jer. Taylor.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! got pulled over by the grammar police again. Must have been lurking behind a tree or sumpin. Now if you would pay that much attention to the fish you never would come home empty handed, CR. Rofl EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Go when you can, fish how you fish best, if they don't bite try smaller baits, larger baits, try deeper, try shallower, move around and fish areas you never fished before. Don't give up and remember I have fished pro-am tournaments and seen days the pros never caught a fish. Enjoy the day!

Post Thanks / Like

To me it wouldn't be any fun if every time I went fishing I slaughtered them ! That's what it's all about ... My most memorable times fishing is when I couldn't buy a bite and then finally figured them out and then the slaughter was on ! Kinda like making 3 touch down comeback in the super bowl to win the game . But for me I try to learn a trick , or an area every single time I go and the more times you go the easier it is to figure them out !

Post Thanks / Like

ill usually just switch to catfish when that happends.

Post Thanks / Like

go deep,find a dark looking bluff, slow troll a jig.small crank. try everything you ever heard of, sometimes it just happenes and the fish just will not bite, move arround they will hit somewhere...

Post Thanks / Like

Look man, crappie fishing is trial and error, you just have to fiddle with the jigs and colors, sometimes it always works sometimes you have to change COLOR and DEPTH all the time, we filled a cooler on a windy, cloudy day. Sometimes the crappy days is wen the crappie bite.