Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie will eat anything

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie will eat anything

The crappie here in Central Texas decided to eat stuff that is not even talked about in crappie fishing circles anywhere int he U.S of A. My partner caught a 14.5 incher on a watermelon/chart tail 6" plastic worm while bass fishing last week and last night I caught a 13 incher on a jitterbug also bass fishing. On both occasions we stopped bass fishing and started throwing crappie jigs in the area and came up empty. I guess these were the "born to be wild" crappie who were living life on the edge.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a blue gill yesterday on a t-rigged 9" zoom black sapphire worm. Darn thing engulfed it. I was bass fishing and continued to get bluegill/bream bites on the tail so I switched to my panfish set up and just ended up nailing the bream on a small curly tails. Also ended up catching a couple bass on it. Never seen a bluegill eat a 9" plastic worm though.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a largemouth on a worm under a bobber Friday night -- you just never know...

:rolleyes:

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation It ain't just in Texas, Smedley ..

Quote Originally Posted by smedley
    The crappie here in Central Texas decided to eat stuff that is not even talked about in crappie fishing circles anywhere int he U.S of A. My partner caught a 14.5 incher on a watermelon/chart tail 6" plastic worm while bass fishing last week and last night I caught a 13 incher on a jitterbug also bass fishing. On both occasions we stopped bass fishing and started throwing crappie jigs in the area and came up empty. I guess these were the "born to be wild" crappie who were living life on the edge.
    I've caught them on crankbaits .... casting the banks for Bass, and while trolling them for Hybrid Stripers. Seen a 2lb White Crappie caught on a 1/2oz white spinnerbait, by a fishing buddy. And caught a 2lb Black Crappie on a 4" Gene Larew Saltcraw, while night fishing a deep cliff bank for Bass. All of these events took place in my "pre-Crappie.com" years ... back when I thought Crappie only ate minnows, shad, silversides, 1/8oz doll flys, white marabou jigs, or Roadrunners .... LOL!! I think those fish were as surprised as I was :D
    Nowadays, no matter what I throw/use .... I'm not so surprised to bring in a Crappie on it, regardless of what I'm "actually" fishing for !! ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

i caught 2 largemouths last weeks on crickets about 10 min apart, after fishing for them with plastics worms for about 2hrs. Go fiqure, last week was very strange.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer