Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to hook a fish for weighing???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to hook a fish for weighing???

Hi guys,

I picked up this digital scale on Amazon because it was only $7, no tax, no shipping. It had very good reviews and has been very accurate on my in-home tests.

Anyway, I'd like to know the best way/place to "hook" a fish in order to weigh it. More often than not I'll release the fish...so I want to do as little damage as possible. If necessary I could remove the existing hook by cutting the link, if you have a better idea for a "hook".

Thanks.

Name:  scale.jpg
Views: 3712
Size:  21.1 KB
    "I care not for a man's religion unless his dog and cat are the better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Id imagine under the lip like runnin a stringer. But that may very with different fish!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?12hzcg

Post Thanks / Like

Put the fish in a plastic grocery bag and slip the hook in the handles of the bag. That will handle a lot of fish, and it will be very accurate since the bag is virtually weightless. For bigger fish, you can double-bag!

Post Thanks / Like

You would be better to slip the hook under the gill flap, or punch a hole in the membrane with the hook. The problem with putting the fish in any bag is that it would remove the protective slime that keeps the bacteria from the fish. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    The problem with putting the fish in any bag is that it would remove the protective slime that keeps the bacteria from the fish. EB
    Dip the bag in the water beforehand.

Post Thanks / Like

I ground the barb off a 6/0 straight hook. Hook the fish through the lip and the scale through the hookeye.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea. Never thought of that.

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use an aligator clip hanging from my scale's hook and clip it to the bottom jaw of the fish I am weighing. Doesn't damage the fish at all that way. I have the same clips on my culling beam too.

<,"}//>{ Tim
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    You would be better to slip the hook under the gill flap, or punch a hole in the membrane with the hook. The problem with putting the fish in any bag is that it would remove the protective slime that keeps the bacteria from the fish. EB
    Don't think so, Beav .... anytime you do damage to the gills, it's far more likely to be worse than a little slime removal. Allowing a fish to flop around on the carpet, &/or doing a lot of handling with dry hands, you're going to remove more slime than a few seconds in a plastic bag (esp a wet one). The fish will survive a hole punched in its mouth membrane, much longer and far better than one hung up by a hook in the gill area.

And, if you're going to measure a fish by laying it on a Golden Rule, stick it in a plastic measuring device, or lay it on a decal ruler that you have stuck on the aluminum or fiberglass surface of your boat .... THINK ABOUT IT, FIRST !! Ask yourself ... just how HOT is that measuring device/surface ?? Keep'em shaded & wet ... and that fish will have a much better chance of surviving the ordeal, if/when you release it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Don't think so, Beav .... anytime you do damage to the gills, it's far more likely to be worse than a little slime removal. Allowing a fish to flop around on the carpet, &/or doing a lot of handling with dry hands, you're going to remove more slime than a few seconds in a plastic bag (esp a wet one). The fish will survive a hole punched in its mouth membrane, much longer and far better than one hung up by a hook in the gill area.

And, if you're going to measure a fish by laying it on a Golden Rule, stick it in a plastic measuring device, or lay it on a decal ruler that you have stuck on the aluminum or fiberglass surface of your boat .... THINK ABOUT IT, FIRST !! Ask yourself ... just how HOT is that measuring device/surface ?? Keep'em shaded & wet ... and that fish will have a much better chance of surviving the ordeal, if/when you release it.

... cp

Great advice... very ethical fisherman!

Blake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast