Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Rod Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Question Multiple Rod Fishing

O.K., I've watched the two "Crappie Time" shows on T.V.. Both have focused on presentations employing using multiple rod set-ups. I've got no problem with that - except - here in the northeast, we are not allowed to use more than two rods being fished per person (one hook each). That's our problem though and not the point of this query.

My question: is the use of multiple rod set-ups a pre-requisite to successful crappie fishing? I fish both from boats and do a lot of fishing from shore as well. I've been fishing for and catching crappie for a LOT of years, most of which is/has been done with a single rod per fishermen. I guess the impression I got from the two T.V. shows was that this is NOT the road to success. Which is why I was disappointed in both of them.

I just wish the focus was more on habits, habitat and single rod presentations. I don't mean this as a criticism, just an observation.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

My advice would be move to Georgia or Florida where I fish. I pull 2 jigs per line on 6 rods off the front and 4 rods out the back. I feel that a creel limit is all that is needed to stop over catching. IMHO
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    My question: is the use of multiple rod set-ups a pre-requisite to successful crappie fishing?
    Not IMO. I'm a "jig caster" and have always relied on one rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    O.K., I've watched the two "Crappie Time" shows on T.V.. Both have focused on presentations employing using multiple rod set-ups.... I just wish the focus was more on habits, habitat and single rod presentations. I don't mean this as a criticism, just an observation.
    I mentioned this in another thread. I know a lot of people troll with multiple rods, but many people don't, either because they can't (like you) or because they choose not to (like me.) I have no problem with any legal method, and I think it's great there's a show dedicated to crappie fishing. I'd just like to see them promote a variety of methods to appeal to as many people as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

the sponsors of the show wants to sell as many rods/reels, holders, etc., as they can, one reason to promote multiple rods in use. I use 2 rods, sometimes with 2 jigs per rod, but I catch and release for the most part.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Different presentations work at different times of the year... I prefer multiple rods (more baits in the water equal better odds ) but there are times of the year that I have to go to one rod and cast to the banks or jig brush... Its all in the time of year.

Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! Thats a problem alright! Move to florida!

Post Thanks / Like

Last week of March I picked up 70 fish in about 4 hours trolling 6 rods with 2 baits each. Last week I picked up 70 fish in 3 hrs casting a single jig to brush.
    I'm sure that the sponsors want to sell you more equipment, but truth is there are times that a single rod will produce as well as multiple rigs. If you're really in the fish 6 rods are near impossible to manage.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm using 8 rods with 2 baits in Tenn. with 2 fisherman in my boat while trolling. Limits is 15 per person per day and size limit is 10 inches. with the 15 limit I don't see any problem with over fishing. Only thing it might garner us is our limit quicker and going home to momma sooner.

Post Thanks / Like

1 rod, my brain can't handle more than that at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes troll two rods with one crank bait or two curly tail jigs on each but I mostly use one rod with one or two jigs because I love to feel the "THUMP".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast