Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is this?!?!?

What kind of fish is this and should I keep it????

Yes i took a video lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnPhT...e_gdata_player

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jrsrjj

Post Thanks / Like

That is a rock bass/black perch very fine eating.

Post Thanks / Like

Its chunky. Might keep it

Post Thanks / Like

Another name for them is "Warmouth". That's what we call 'um here. And now, more information than you probably wanted, but what the heck.

The warmouth is somewhat larger than either rock bass or green sunfish (with which it is often confused) but very similar otherwise in that it is large-mouthed and heavy-bodied. Adult warmouth are dark, with mottled brown coloration. Their belly is generally golden, and males have a bright orange spot at the base of the dorsal fin. Three to five reddish-brown streaks radiate from the eyes, and the gill flaps are often red. Warmouth have three spines in the anal fin, 10 spines in the dorsal fin, and small teeth are present on the tongue. These fish range in size from 4 to10 inches (10.2 to 25 cm), but can grow to more than 12 inches (31 cm), and weigh up to 2.25 pounds (1 kg).
    Warmouth are quite secretive. They seek cover in rocky banks, stumps or weeds, or near other large objects, where they can hide and wait for food. They are sight feeders. When in breeding condition, the males' eyes turn red. After the female lays her eggs, the male fertilizes the eggs and aggressively defends the nest, eggs and fry from any intruder-including other females. Warmouth hybridize (crossbreed) with bluegill and green sunfish. They can survive in polluted, low oxygenated waters where other sunfish cannot. Warmouth are often confused with rock bass. The difference between the two is in the anal fin: warmouth have three spines on the anal fin ray and rock bass have six spines.
    Warmouth are found in the Great Lakes and Mississippi River basins, from western Pennsylvania to Minnesota, south to the Gulf of Mexico; and the Atlantic and Gulf drainages from the Rappahannock River in Virginia to the Rio Grande in Texas and New Mexico.
    Warmouth are members of the sunfish family, which includes the largemouth bass. They are also known by more colorful local names such as redeye, goggle-eye, red-eyed bream, stump knocker, mudgapper, mo-mouth, morgan, molly, rock bass, open mouth, weed bass, wood bass, strawberry "perch" and mud bass. Because warmouth hit hard and are easily caught, they are popular with some anglers. They are good to eat.

The last two sentences tell it all.

Country
    I was country when country wasn't cool

Post Thanks / Like

Thx!!!

Post Thanks / Like

warmouth or rockbass some call them.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a big rocky!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

i've never seen one myself,thanks for the video.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly he worked his way off the stringer . But thats the second time i caught him in the same spot that actually has a few broken up cement slabs on the edge of the pond.

Post Thanks / Like

We call em goggle eye, caught a few on my last video, meat was white and delicious!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast