Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter Monday rigging the Grand

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easter Monday rigging the Grand

Daughter had the day off and wanted to go so we did! Put in about 7:30 am. Had not been down for two weeks so we headed to the cove we left them bitting in then, nope not there, we had about 12 fish for three of us by 1:00pm.
    Decided to head down river and check some other spots. Idling out of cove about 5 mhp, and bam boat come to an abrupt stopbanghead Motor died, raised it up and seemed ok! Headed on to next stop pulled in started getting the rods out I had all mine out and hear from the back of the boat: I think we got a problem Can't be to bad? Well his feet were getting wet, we had a lot of water in the boat and raising fast
    What is wrong? How bad can it be? Transom must have torn lose? What to do? Bank? Run to ramp? Insurance? New Boat Threw the rods back in the boat fired up the big motor and everybody got toward the front, figured it would run out if I could get it on plain, and it did, had put in at Knisley so that is a good thing as for no no wake bouy. Ran hard to the bank dropped two passengers off, told them to get the trailer in and I would keep it on plain till then, ran it on the trailer pulled it out.

Jump out of boat to access the damage? Well can't see a hole anywhere not on the bottom not around the transom? Only place it was leaking out was the drain plug hole which is normal Oh waitbanghead I didn't pull the plug?????????? It was gone!!!!!!!!
    I had a plug in it that has the t handle sticking out the back you twist. Well my thoughts are that when we hit the tree and the motor stopped the boat, the back lash threw the back of the boat into the tree and it stole my plug! And yes it was in tight! I break most things from over tightening! What a relief to see no damage.
    Meanwhile I am ready to go home, no they wanted to continue on the journey and we did. Went to a third creek and set the rods out, still pretty slow but did find some fish in the mouth of creek that were 10 ft down in 20 fow and were hungry. Ended the day about 6PM with 45 eaters, no real big fish and most not as big as we had been catching. Fished Eufaula Friday through Sunday and them fish got some shoulders on them! Caught 80% of them on Black/Pink 3" wooly beaver tails tipped with a minner!
    It ended as a wonderful day on the water for sure!!
    Last edited by Jerkey Log; 04-10-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Exciting trip. Glad everything turned out ok. That lost plug is sooooooooooooooooooooo much better than a cracked transom.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking on your toes. Glad to hear the fix was as cheap as they get.
    Standing in the Gap

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it was an easy fix. I like the "stick in from the inside" kind of drain plugs. I know some boat set ups won't allow that.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing ya had an extra plug huh?
    Bulletman aka Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson for the class: Carry extra plug. Not something I do, thanks for sharing.

I had a stick up yank mine out of a jon boat. Wrapped my fishing rag round the tip of my needle nose pliers and shoved it in tight enough to get me back to the ramp. Now that boat has an inside plug only.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it worked out and turned out to be a good day anyway.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun day for sure. Got to keep it interesting while fishing with the kids. Glad it was not an expensive time consuming fix. Going to get out early tomorrow and dump some beds and try to rig up a few fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Plug muuuuuuuch better problem. I would never of thought that was the problem.

Started out 30 years ago with a hull only john boat, learned then that water will run out if ya get on plain, or near it!

I would put it in from the inside but my arm is not long enough.

As for the extra plug, I am sure I could come up with 5 plugs, three laying in the back now 2 and I am sure there are a few in the tool box.

Just glad that the old tub is not down for repair, ready to fish another day!

Wish the fishing at Truman would get a little better, like Monty said I'm not sure Stockton would not be better.

If ya have never been to Eufaula you need to put that on your bucket list! They do have some great fish in that lake, I would say we caught over 12" average. Eufaula Boy (Brian Young) is a great guide for Eufaula. Young, fun and will do all he can to put you on some nice fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Good out come. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast