Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a depth finder transducer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting a depth finder transducer

I am wanting to mount a depth finder and transducer on my Yak. I have watched many videos on mounting the transducers in Yak's but all have been "through the hull" transducers. I don't want to spend that kind of money. Any ideas as to where and how to mount the transducer? I was thinking of using PVC and mounting it off the bow and down. Your thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Tight lines!

Post Thanks / Like

Look in the yak forum here, and google for other yak forums for some tips. I remember reading one thread how a guy mounted a xducer inside his yak using plumbers putty, he indicated it was a solid mount after a year or so, and seemed happy. there is a link in one of the threads here for a yak forum in Louisanna I think, which seemed to have some good info for a guy who doesn't have a yak. Been thinking about one, but that's as far as I've gotten so far.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

If you mount the transducer "inside" the Yak, it has to be a "trough the hull" one and they cost a lot more.

Post Thanks / Like

Oletimer i'm using a standard transom transducer on my sit in side yak, i just took a piece of blue foam board an made a wet well for it to sit in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OleTimer View Post
    If you mount the transducer "inside" the Yak, it has to be a "trough the hull" one and they cost a lot more.
    Not really. Ive mounted several standard pucks using goop. Just make sure that there are no bubbles in the glue, or it will interfere with the signal.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome...I'll give that a try. Although, my bottom is not totally level. It slightly tappers toward the middle where there is a keel. Will that matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Try to keep it as level as possible.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

Just purchasing a Kayak today, I'm in the same "boat" (mounting transducer). I'd planned to fix it to the hull as well so I can keep the wiring hidden.

Anyone ever just used Silicone? I wouldn't mind something easily removed (as opposed to say Epoxy), in the event I ever had to replace the FF.

My FF is a Hummingbird 170, and the standard transducer has the option of hull mounting (no special transducer required).

Post Thanks / Like

After a lot of investigation, i found that a few guys are using "Duct Seal" to fasten the transducer to the hull of the Yak. I purchased Duct Seal at Lowes for like $2.67 and there is more than enough to make a well, place the transducer in it and pull some over the ducer to hold it in place. Another good thing about Duct Seal is that it is removeable and it can be used to tuck wires away too. Very easy to work with, like clay.
    Here is a link that may help: Ascend FS 10 kayak fish finder transducer - YouTube!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a cheap lil hummin bird i got used of ebay that came with the standard transom mount transducer. I just used white 5200 marine silicon and glued it down. It does great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast