Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese hooks?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chinese hooks?

quackrstackr and I took the day off Friday and headed to KY Lake to try to find some redears. We ended up getting into a good bed of bluegills and a sand bank that was covered with spawning channel catfish.

I have used a drop-shot rig for panfish for years. This is the 1st year that I have used PowerPro hi-vis braid line in 10/2. I didn't think much about it when I lost the 1st catfish at the boat when I thought the line failed at the hook. After the 3rd time of losing the hook off the rig I took notice. I had recently bought some "panfish" hooks at WalMart, size 4 long shank no-name brand. Just the typical WalMart discount package. On close inspection, I found the loop (eye) on the hooks was not closed and the braid with its 2 pound diameter was slipping thru the gap on the hook eye. I ended up having to take my pliers and crimp the loops together. Sunday I tossed all those hooks and replaced them with Eagle Claws that I normally use.

Anybody else had similar experiences with off-shore tackle items?
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Anybody else had similar experiences with off-shore tackle items?
    I've never used any "no name" brand, but Japanese hooks are the best.

Post Thanks / Like

If I don't know who makes it I don't buy it!!!!!!! Unless I get some really good recommendations from here on the boards that someone tried it. Never failed to get straight answers from the folks here - and I'll take endorsements of products more from here than any slick ad campaigne.

for fishing live bait for panfish I really like the Tru-Turn hooks in size 6 and 4 - and yes they're tough enough to hook and land catfish on, if you ran into them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the exact same problem that you are speaking of but mine were on jigheads. I lost a few fish along with the jigs last week and was finally able to locate the problem. I was using a loop knot and the whole loop was coming back to me without a fish. Finally noticed that the line was slipping off the hook so I switched to a better hook. Lesson learned "Cheaper is not always better".

Post Thanks / Like

I have some no-name brand Chinese 4/0 circle hooks I use for catfish. I bought them in bulk off ebay, about $8 for 100. I prefer name brands, but since I tend to snag a lot when fishing for cats it gets very expensive. They have landed channels over 10 pounds without problems.

So not all no-name Chinese hooks are bad. You should inspec all your hooks before using them. Even the big boys can have a bad batch.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to check out the packages & look for the China Junk. Even Mustad hooks are being made in China.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that eagle claw is the only hook made in the USA. Buy American. It will solve tons of problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatrap View Post
    I think that eagle claw is the only hook made in the USA. Buy American. It will solve tons of problems.
    And save jobs.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
    And save jobs.
    The problem is they cost the same as other better quality hooks made elsewhere. I'm not going to buy inferior quality hooks just because they're made in the USA. When they get their quality up to par, I'll think about buying their stuff.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had it happen with premium hooks too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast