Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Death Star?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Death Star?

Just ordered three of the spheres. The Stars look like what I need to place around my boat dock. It is hard to keep brush piles, etc. stationary due to the high boat traffic and ongoing winds.

How do you anchor the buggers?

I read a post that stated the pvc rigs were hard to locate with sonar.

Has anyone ever experienced this happening?

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default cane pole

How much did 3 of these cost you ??
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiehunter told me he had trouble locating PVC structure on sonar so he inserted pieces of wood in the tips of some of the piping and that seemed to work.

I guess every depthfinder is different but I would try putting something solid in a few of the PVC piping to see if that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cost

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    How much did 3 of these cost you ??
    $29.95 for three without pvc (plus shipping of course). Thought I would give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wonder if ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Giles
    Crappiehunter told me he had trouble locating PVC structure on sonar so he inserted pieces of wood in the tips of some of the piping and that seemed to work.

I guess every depthfinder is different but I would try putting something solid in a few of the PVC piping to see if that works.
    Wonder if I filled the tubes with sand would aid with sonar detection. No problem at boat dock, but if it works there, the this opens up new posibilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Default If it was me...

If I was placing them out in the lake I would do everything so they wont show up on the depthfinder. That way the money and hard work that you put into them. Wont give someone else a new honey hole. Place them with a gps or by some type of land marks, rocks, trees..whatever you can find. And then right it down on a journal or even better a map. Just my 2 cents worth...
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sand would work or anything solid that can bounce the sound waves back to the transdu

Anything that reflects sound waves should work. The PVC pipes are stealthy not only because they are hollow but their surfaces are rounded and they reflect the sonar sound waves out off their rounded surface and not directly back to the Transducer. the only waves that would reflect straight back to the transducer would be those that bounce of the surface of the pipe that are directly inline with the transducer. If you think of the B2 bomber you see how it's shaped and it's designed to not bounce the radar waves straight back to a radar station on the ground but instead the waves are bounced out at angles and into space or anywhere but straight back to the radar station.

That's my take on this situation anyway. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Wonder if I filled the tubes with sand would aid with sonar detection. No problem at boat dock, but if it works there, the this opens up new posibilities.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered three of the spheres. The Stars look like what I need to place around my boat dock. It is hard to keep brush piles, etc. stationary due to the high boat traffic and ongoing winds.

How do you anchor the buggers?

I read a post that stated the pvc rigs were hard to locate with sonar.

Has anyone ever experienced this happening?

Cane Pole

Post Thanks / Like

check your home computer....ak-moose

Post Thanks / Like

Default got PVC pipe?

$29.95 for three without pvc (plus shipping of course). Thought I would give it a try.
    If you don't have any PVC pipe CP, come see me at Snow's plumbing on the lake highway when the parts come in, we'll get ya fixed up.
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"