Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Electric Anchor Systems ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric Anchor Systems ...

Question ... What thoughts/experience do you have with the electric anchor systems on today's market?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

I just got permission to purchase, and did so IMMEDIATELY, a brand new boat - a Lowe Stinger 160 with a 50HP Mercury Four-Stroke EFI outboard. I am currently awaiting its birth in Missouri and subsequent shipment to sunny Florida - its new home. My wife, who gave me permission and loves to fish, has trouble with her hands (strength and dexterity) due to diabetes. I was considering one of these electric anchors so she could still "do her part" in operating the boat, yet not get upset and frustrated. Just push the switch to raise and lower - the 12V electrical system on the boat does all the work.

For those with input, would I be OK to mount it on the rear deck for easy access for her and to be "out of the way" when I am bass fishing, etc. and all alone.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had that particular model on a Grumman 16 footer with a 40HP Johnson. I imagine my boat and the one you are purchasing are similar. I had mine mounted on the bow, and the switch and cable was long enough to reach the the stern, as my boat was tiller steer. I wouldn't rate the holding ability very well for wind or current. The mushroom anchor design isn't the best for holding and it only has the capacity of about 50 feet of line. For shallow depths with little current on wind, it's a handy gadget. PS. My wife, who is my fishing partner, has MS, so I know what you mean about them wanting to do their part, but getting frustrated.
    Good luck with your new boat, sounds like a beauty!
    Last edited by Shellback; 05-14-2006 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have the min kota anchor system...It is a great product and works well...But, the mushroom weights aren't that great...If you want to stay still get the fluke style anchors....They dig into the bottom of the lake and will hold better...

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Had one of those on the bow of the last boat I had - it was pretty handy,
    though as someone mentioned, it didn't hold well in heavy wind.
    I did break it one time, totally my fault - I raised it then went tearing down
    the lake in a heavy chop without "latching" it into the holder. Broke a nylon
    gear, but MinnKota mailed me one and I replaced it myself. Don't recall, but
    it was not an expensive fix. It probably mentions this somewhere, but wanted
    to point out you have to fill the anchor yourself, at least when I got mine.
    I used #8 shotgun pellets.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I have two electrics on my boat.
    I've tried the Minn kota's before and don't like them.
    I use the power winch and there great. No plastic gears either.
    I bought the first one and then just ordered the motor and spool for the second.
    I have all the tools, so I just copied the first one and built the second.
    Saved myself a bunch of money.
    There is no way I'll pull an anchor by hand again.
    As mentioned before though, the mushroom anchors don't hold very well.
    I have the navy (fluked) in the front and a river anchor in the back. Works great.
    If you would like. I can post a couple of pictures.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great if you post some pictures. Thanks to all for the input.