Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Another Dock Shootin' ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Dock Shootin' ?

How do you deal with/control your boat in the wind/breeze when dock shootin'? I know there is no set of rules, just looking for some different ways how other dock shooters deal with it. Bow in the wind, broadside, transom in the wind,, drop anchor (,LOL),

How long will you fight the wind before giving up on it for the day??

How strong of wind will you fight??
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

It is better if I can keep the nose in the wind but that is not always possible. I have a push pole( 6 foot collapsable walking stick ) in the boat so the person in the back can push us off the dock if need be. When the fish are biting I have fished all afternoon in twenty mph wind and sometimes even more.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't done any dock shooting yet but i've been around enough trees and docks that i didn't want to let the boat get into. Keep your nose in the wind. The boat will be alot easier to control especially back and let you focus on fishing. I definately wouldn't turn my side into the wind. A good wind would quickly put my aluminum boat into the dock or even worse into somebody's boat. If the fish are biting i'll fight it as long as the battery will let me.

Post Thanks / Like

How far "away" from the docks do you guys try to stay as well ??
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

If the wind makes it tough to keep the boat positioned the way I want, then I'll either anchor from both ends or if the water is shallow enough, I have a couple of fiberglass poles I can push into the bottom and tie off to (since i can't afford powerpoles). Distance from the dock is determined by how much of an opening I have to shoot under. If there is little clearance to shoot under, I'll back off a little to get a lower angle on the skip. If there's plenty of room, I'll get right up next to it and try not to hit it with the tip of my rod.