Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: When will they

Post Thanks / Like

Default When will they

Ok,as far as I can tell the bream are not on bed on lake keowee in sc.can't find a single bed --shallow or deep. If they are not on bed now,when will they bed?On the new moon?Or the next full moon?Or sometime in between?The water temp is 67 degrees.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert and others may have a different take on bedding but here is what I think for what its worth (probably not much :D). March and April here in this part of Florida usually best for bedding but.....that is not written in stone. Where you live may be drastically different. It is already May here and most of the beds that I have seen are now empty. As far as conditions, my best guess for bedding would be when the water temp. is warmer like in the 70s or 80s. Just before the full moon couldn't hurt . Beds are usually more shallow depending on the species of bream. I think Shellcrackers like their beds a little deeper than say Bluegill. I don't know about other bream species bedding preferences like warmouth, stumpknockers, fliers, and so on.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 05-14-2006 at 06:51 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Default water temp

In Va everything i can find says they wont bed until the water temp gets up to the low to mid 70's. I have also read that shellcrackers will bed even in water 20' deep. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

In NC bream usually spawn in late may through early to mid June.

Post Thanks / Like

mid 70's. Then they become teenagers.....

Post Thanks / Like

its the tempature. they ain't got a calendar, but their body tells them when the temp is rite.

Post Thanks / Like

Hit one of my favorite fishing holes on Thursday and Friday of last week, in eastern N.C. Water temp was 67-69 degrees. I did catch plenty of fish, and quite a few darn nice 1 1/4 lb'ers, but none were females loaded with eggs, my guess, along with a few others i've seen posted, the Bream NEED 72 and above, to do their thing! And, IF, I were not going to be out of town, I'd be trying hard come the 25 and 26 of May, I suspect they'll be there, in large numbers! Just my guess!

Good luck all!

lee