Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Which do you prefer - finesse action lures or big action baits for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which do you prefer - finesse action lures or big action baits for crappie?

I have found that in general finesse baits (hair, mylar, thin tail plastics, Rapala) work better for me.
    I don't even carry small crankbaits or Kalin grubs when I fish for crappie.
    What does everyone else prefer? Have you had any luck with larger action lures?

Post Thanks / Like

Finesse only for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I never go on the water without a full array of 2" curly tail grubs, as well straight tailed plastics and some marabou. Sometimes they do prefer these more subtle baits. But other times, if you're not giving your bait a lot of action (or if it isn't inherent in the design), you'll be going home empty handed. Crappie can be very finicky!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I never go on the water without a full array of 2" curly tail grubs, as well straight tailed plastics and some marabou. Sometimes they do prefer these more subtle baits. But other times, if you're not giving your bait a lot of action (or if it isn't inherent in the design), you'll be going home empty handed. Crappie can be very finicky!
    X2

A few years ago I was chasing green fish on a shoreline with a small white crank with a chart back. The Bass would have loved it if the crappie had left it alone. Caught over 20 on a hundred yard stretch of that bank. I'm not saying to load up, but action is sometimes the ticket. Curl tails fall slower and might trigger a bite that day. All in your bag of tricks.......
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

there are no absolutes in fishing . one spring the crappie bite was slow so I took out the fly rod to try the bluegill . caught 15 or so crappie on a black gnat . has not happened since but probally would if I tried this more often .

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to let the crappie tell you which they want but that said I don't think they like a very active bait most of the time. I remember a crappie tournament, which we won, where I found the fish holding off a hump suspended about 12' over 20' of water. We tried moving around them slowly and were doing nothing. Picked up a rod in each hand and tried to keep it as still as possible and we would then get bit, not fast or hard but we did catch enough to win. So when ever we locate them in that mode and mood we try to put no action in our jigs. When we are spider-rigging I have noticed that we almost never get bit when we are being rocked by boat waves. Just MHO.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

If your not casting some 2inch kalins or hot grubs in the spring I think you would like the results.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

what ever the fish want......i always start out more agressive and slow/down size if needed

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13