Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spikes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spikes

Anybody ever use the spikes or maggots for fishing? What are they good for and does the color matter? I was noticing that Grubco has them in Different colors.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Ej ...

Quote Originally Posted by ejones1961
    Anybody ever use the spikes or maggots for fishing? What are they good for and does the color matter? I was noticing that Grubco has them in Different colors.
    I've never actually used "spikes", myself.....but, have seen a lot of fishing shows where they were being used "ice fishing" for Bluegill, Perch, & Crappie. They usually tipped a tiny jighead with 2-3 spikes ... just hooking them thru the middle (not threading them on the hook).
    I don't know why they wouldn't work as well as a wax worm ... unless they are considerably smaller, or softer, and thus harder to keep on the hook.
    The colors are there for the anglers choice .... bait businesses have to please a wide variety of people, with diverse ideas. (like "tuffies", rosey reds, & shiners ... in the minnow selection)

You can get a more in-depth explanation, by contacting Dale Cochran of Grubco. He's a great guy to deal with.
    I've caught Crappie on his wax worms, and on mealworms ... along with many Bluegill & other "sunfish". I've just never tried the "spikes", as I don't really use live bait all that much, anyway. ............. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default spikes

I've used spikes for years, put 5 or 6 on a # 8 cricket hook and tear em up, you'll catch fish till there aint nuthin but a 'hull' left on the hook. be sure to hook em just tru the skin in the Big End next to the 2 black dots so they will stay alive an wiggle. I started usin berkley's honey worms last year and they will fish neck n' neck with the spikes and you don't have to worry bout keepin em refrigerated like the spikes..When perchin' in the spring I sometimes use the spikes on a hair jig if I have any left from brimmin. I would order 2000 early in the spring. that's the best way to buy em.

good fishin
    Last edited by dmann436; 05-16-2006 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maggots are my favorite bluegill bait. I've also caught bass, trout, shellcrackers and catfish on them. On a worldwide basis, they're the #1 bait.

I fish one or two on a #14 - #18 dry fly hook with a 2 or 3 lb. leader. You won't get as many strikes on heavier tackle. As dmann said, they're very tough on the hook. I once caught 12 bluegill on one maggot. I stopped counting after 12 -- could've caught more!

At about 34 degrees, they'll keep for 2-3 months. The different colors are from them being raised on dyed turkey meat. They take on the color of whatever they've eaten. Unfortunately, the dye they use shortens the life span of the maggot. That's why I only use the natural white color.