Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig hook size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig hook size

I don't see too much discussion on jig hook sizes or styles. I was using jigs with minnows this weekend and seemed to be missing fish. I up the hook size and seemed to do better.

Seems like crappie of any size could handle a larger hook. Why the trend for small jig hooks? Presentation/weight?

What hook size should be used when pairing with a minnow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Mullins View Post
    I don't see too much discussion on jig hook sizes or styles.
    You just missed them. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "Similar Threads".

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use all sickles, a #6 around grabby stuff, 4 around general stuff, and 2 when trolling. You can cast with #2's but they like to stay in the wood more than the smaller. Aberdeeen hooks don't connect as well for me, used one I found in the boat last week and missed 2 fish in short order. Changed back to a sickle and missed no others that day.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

#2 litewirehook for everything.
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Post Thanks / Like

I've never understood why so many people use small jigs for crappie (meaning those 1/32 and 1/64) or 1/16 with small hooks. I use Crappie Pro jig heads or some 1/8 and 1/4 jig heads I bought off of ebay with red matzu sickle hooks. I believe the 1/8 have #1 and the 1/4 have 1/0. These hooks end up in the roof of the Crappie mouth and not the lips. Every time I've used smaller jigs with small hooks, it's usually the lips or the membrane on the side of the mouth, where it tears easily.

Besides, have you really looked at a Crappies mouth? They're big for a reason...to eat big baits!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Mullins View Post
    I don't see too much discussion on jig hook sizes or styles. I was using jigs with minnows this weekend and seemed to be missing fish. I up the hook size and seemed to do better.

Seems like crappie of any size could handle a larger hook. Why the trend for small jig hooks? Presentation/weight?

What hook size should be used when pairing with a minnow?
    about these other guys Rofl .... but, I've been using 1/32 & 1/16oz jigs with #4 & #2 hooks for many decades, and I rarely hook a Crappie in anything but the roof of their mouth. Now, you must understand that I'm casting these jigs, about 95% of the time. And seeing that tic in the line, I set the hook FAST ... so the hook point is probably still pointing upwards, since I don't give the fish time to roll the jig around in their mouth. I generally choose the jig weight in accordance with how deep I'm fishing and/or how slow I want the jig to fall.

While Crappie can handle a hook of enormous size, and many members seem to prefer them up to a 1/0, I choose my hook size by what size body I'm putting on the jighead. (since I do tend to fish plastics more often than a tied feather type jig) The same reasoning works for me when using a jighead/minnow rig .... depends on the size of the minnow. If I'm catching Crappie in the 2lb+ class, and they're not coming off the hook or bending the hook open, and I'm using the 1/32 & 1/16oz jighead & #4 and #2 size hooks, while fishing with UL to light action rods & 4lb test mono .... what would be my incentive to change to heavier jigs/bigger hooks or different style hooks ... or for that matter, bigger baits ??

... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDon View Post
    I've never understood why so many people use small jigs for crappie (meaning those 1/32 and 1/64) or 1/16 with small hooks. I use Crappie Pro jig heads or some 1/8 and 1/4 jig heads I bought off of ebay with red matzu sickle hooks. I believe the 1/8 have #1 and the 1/4 have 1/0. These hooks end up in the roof of the Crappie mouth and not the lips. Every time I've used smaller jigs with small hooks, it's usually the lips or the membrane on the side of the mouth, where it tears easily.

Besides, have you really looked at a Crappies mouth? They're big for a reason...to eat big baits!
    I agree somewhat ,but use no minnows. I use 1/8 with #2 hooks all the time except when fishing extremely deep.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use #4's but of late have started pouring more with #2's. I definitely think that more fish get hooked in the roof of the mouth with the 2's.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of casting as well. Mainly using 1/16 oz. ball heads with 2" plastics of various shapes and styles. These jigs all come with #4 hooks and they match well with the plastics I'm using. Never had a need to go larger. The crappie love 'em!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

On the crappie jigs size 2 and 4, sickles and aberdeens. For Minnows I use Red Tru-Turn hooks usually 6 or 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast