Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Closed face reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Closed face reels

I've got a couple Zebco 11 closed face reels, 2 under spin, and one with the button on the back. Anyhow after casting I most times have to grab the line and put a little tension on it before the pickup pin catched the line and starts to retrieve. I'm thinking the problem is in loose coils of the 4# mono, and was thinking of switching to Fireline or one of the other braids. Anybody have any thoughts? I'd rather use open faced reels, but the wife likes the closed face.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Sorry, won't work.

I have heard too many nightmare stories of Fireline and other comparable lines on closed faced reels. The line is too limp and the pick up doesn't work to grab it. If you piddle enough to get it to pick it up it will cut a groove in the pick up peg. You may need to change line if yours is old. Spray some Reel Magic or any silicone spray in the reel and it may help. Put extra weight on it and give it a loooong cast so when you retrieve it will lay evenly. (for a few more casts)
    I no longer use the closed face. just not worth the hassle. for me.
    I do know there are some on here that use them more successfully than I. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that info. Just saved me some money as I was going to pick some line up tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Zebco in Eskimo means ''OH MAN.....I missed another,@#$% little peg."
    Last edited by mudwitch; 05-14-2006 at 06:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Might try a very limp line to help let pickup catch the line.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Shellback .... try this

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I've got a couple Zebco 11 closed face reels, 2 under spin, and one with the button on the back. Anyhow after casting I most times have to grab the line and put a little tension on it before the pickup pin catched the line and starts to retrieve. I'm thinking the problem is in loose coils of the 4# mono, and was thinking of switching to Fireline or one of the other braids. Anybody have any thoughts? I'd rather use open faced reels, but the wife likes the closed face.
    you can stop the loose coils/slack line from missing the pickup peg, by doing this:
    When you cast, and the bait hits the water, start pulling your rod tip "away" from the bait ... and engage your reel as you move your rod.
    Most people, that use a spincast, have the tendancy to leave the rod pointed towards the bait when they start to retrieve. The small diameter of the line arbor makes for very coiled line ... and those coils are not being picked up by the pickup peg, until there's some tension on the line. Turning the handle, before the pickup peg has engaged the line, only adds more twist to the already tightly coiled line.
    The pickup pegs, in closed faced reels, must be made of relatively soft metal ... if mono can cut thru it (and it can, over time). A stainless steel peg, or even a ceramic peg would probably cure that problem. It might even allow for the use of braids with spincasts.
    Changing line often is also another alternative. If you are using 4# clear/blue line .... consider BPS Excel mono, in bulk spools. Very inexpensive, good line, and on a par with Trilene/Stren.
    Spraying the line with Reel Magic can also help soften it up, and the silicone in it will make it cast easier. I usually spray my lines (when I do) on the night before use ... or prior to leaving the house.

It used to be, that people thought you had to dunk a spincast reel into the lake ... to make it cast better. Probably the only positive factor in doing so, was that they were getting the line wet. Mono will soak up water, becoming somewhat softer and less coiled. I don't recommend this proceedure, as it also gets the interior metal parts wet ... and it washes the grease & oils onto the line (and off the gears/joints). A better alternative would be to use the "dragging the baitless line behind a moving boat, to untwist line" method. It would be a two-fold positive - untwisting the line, and wetting/softening the line. ......... luck2ya ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is when shopping for closed face... choose one with double pins or line picks ups. I have never had any luck with the singles. I even tried them on trolling rods carrring plenty of weight. The big zebcos have them along with Synergys and a few others. pfluegers are pricey but work well.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !