Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Striped bass in Clinton?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Striped bass in Clinton?

I was unaware there where strippers in Clinton, until Sunday when a friend was trolling for white bass or wipers.
    He called me asking if strippers had been stocked in Clinton because he had just caught 2 that where 26 inches long and did not have the broken lines like a wiper.
    They where full of eggs too, which I did not understand, since strippers and wipers are not supposed to reproduce.
    Can they produce eggs that will not hatch?
    When where strippers stocked in Clinton?

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Dan View Post
    I was unaware there where strippers in Clinton, until Sunday when a friend was trolling for white bass or wipers.
    He called me asking if strippers had been stocked in Clinton because he had just caught 2 that where 26 inches long and did not have the broken lines like a wiper.
    They where full of eggs too, which I did not understand, since strippers and wipers are not supposed to reproduce.
    Can they produce eggs that will not hatch?
    When where strippers stocked in Clinton?
    Captain Dan,

Striped bass were last stocked in Clinton Reservoir on June 9, 1994. This stocking consisted of 141,024 fingerling striped bass. Few striped bass have been collected the last several years during KDWPT sampling efforts.

It would not be unusual for the striped bass females to be full of eggs as they are capable of reproduction, but reproduction does not usually occur in Kansas waters. Wiper females will also have eggs this time of the year. Wiper are not sterile even though they are a hybrid species. The wiper females do produce eggs and the males produce milt. Saugeye males and females, although also a hybrid species, also produce milt and eggs during the spawning season and are not sterile.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Craig,

Thanks again for your info. But I have a question about wiper and saugeye. I thought they are sterile since they are "man-made" hybrid. Some time ago, a wildlife officer was explaining to us about the wipers being stocked at Cheney lake, and said these wipers are sterile, and that's why they have to keep restocking them since they can't reproduce. They will go thru a "fake" spawning run up the river just like white bass and stripers. So I always thought wipers and saugeye are sterile, and their eggs and sperms can't reproduce. If you can clarify that, it will be great!

Again, thank you so much for your hard work!

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTang1 View Post
    Hi Craig,

Thanks again for your info. But I have a question about wiper and saugeye. I thought they are sterile since they are "man-made" hybrid. Some time ago, a wildlife officer was explaining to us about the wipers being stocked at Cheney lake, and said these wipers are sterile, and that's why they have to keep restocking them since they can't reproduce. They will go thru a "fake" spawning run up the river just like white bass and stripers. So I always thought wipers and saugeye are sterile, and their eggs and sperms can't reproduce. If you can clarify that, it will be great!

Again, thank you so much for your hard work!
    ProfessorTang1,

While it is true that we must supplementally stock wiper (and saugeye) to maintain fishable populations, it is NOT true that these man-made hybrids are sterile. In regards to these two species, they are capable of reproduction (males and females produce viable egg and sperm) but usually don't successfully pull off the complete spawning rituals to produce offspring. In short, there is a big difference between CAN'T reproduce and DON'T reproduce!

KDWPT has been working with triploid induction for the past several years to produce sterile saugeye (walleye/saugeye hybrids) for stocking in drainages where contamination to pure walleye stocks is a concern. Below is an excerpt from a recent KDWPT news release briefly explaining triploidy.

"In addition to walleye, the Milford Hatchery will produce the saugeye. Saugeye grow faster and larger than sauger and are thought to be less prone to wash-out high flow-through reservoirs than the walleye. To prevent production of fertile saugeye that have the potential to breed with walleye already in a lake — and potentially diluting that walleye population's genetics — a "triploid induction" process is used on some of the saugeye produced. Triploid induction is a technique that allows genetic manipulation of a chromosome number to create a potentially faster-growing, but sterile, saugeye."

I hope this clears things up!
    Last edited by Craig Johnson; 04-03-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Post Thanks / Like

I like strippers...and stripers

Post Thanks / Like

Really interesting stuff, as usual!!! Thanks Craig.