Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Redear baits

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Redear baits

We used crickets and it was slow . My buddy used a tiny jig call a ''Rockhopper'' and tipped it with a chartruse '' Crappie Nibble ''. He was tear'n me up so bad , I had to add a Crappie Nibble to my hook with a cricket !
    The smell , color , or was it both on the Nibbles that attracted the Redears ? When we Crappie fish he does'nt do any better than me. But with the Redears it made a differance!:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Some people swear by crappie nibbles. I use them also when crappie fishing. The problem with crappie nibbles when crappie fishing though is if there is a bream, sunfish, redaer, etc. within 30 yards they will attack it will everything they have.

Crappie nibbles work! I don't throw a lure in the water w/o one.

How many times have you been crappie fishing when he wasn't doing any better than you to catch crappie with the nibbles? There are times when crappie are just tight lipped. You can throw the whole tackle box in the water and they won't even sniff your lure. Some days are going to be like that.

With that said, (repeating) I use crappie nibbles on every jig I throw in the water. The last three weekends most the people in the creek I am fishing have not been catching fish. I haven't been killing them but I'm catching enough to keep me going back. I go behind them and catch fish off the structure they were just fishing. On;y thing I can figure is the crappie nibbles are making the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Your crappie jigs tipped with a redworm or a wax worm will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by driller
    Your crappie jigs tipped with a redworm or a wax worm will do the trick.
    You got that right driller. I caught my largest redear (over 13") on a popeye, tipped with a meal worm. I will give Crappie Nibbles and red worms a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good success using the nibbles on brim and crappie. I have caught the brim on nibbles on a plain hook they are good stuff.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Redears will bite anything. I would not go fishing just for redears. Don't get me wrong they are fun to catch and good to eat but redears generally don't go after any bait or lures unless they are hungry or curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Shellcrackers natural food are mussell shells. A jig soaked with mussell oil is a great way to catch them. Also a jig tipped with a maggot is a great way to catch them. I never tried the nibbles on them but I will now.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys! I fish a lake in East Tennessee that supposedly doesn't have any shellcrackers but I've been wearing them out lately. The problem is, even when they are biting good, I can't catch them on anything but redworms. I've tried everything I know that is artificial and I catch alot of bluegill but no redears. I put the worms back on and immediately get right back into the shellcrackers. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

keep doin what works!

Post Thanks / Like

To the original question , crickets are a surefire way to not catch shellcrackers.Thats what I been told all my life.My grandaddy didn't like shellies but loved bluegill.That was how he said he kept the crackers away while brim fishing.I always use worms when shellcracker fishing.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.