Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Barkley?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barkley?

The wife an I are heading to Lake Barkley next thursday, was wondering how the bite was and if they are spawning yet?
    Any reports are appreciated...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Hunter,

I haven't been on Barkley at all this spring but from my past experience and what Paul Rister with the KDFWR has told me, it normally runs a week or two behind Kentucky when it comes to the spawn(s) so you should be hitting it about right.

Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise!

Old Guide (Lyndon)
    Old Guide
    Matthew 6:34
    Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished last Friday and again this afternoon on Barkley and caught a limit each time of some of the best crappie I've caught all year. And most the fish, including the 20 I caught today, were big females loaded with eggs. That came on a drop that went from7 to 13-14 ft right at the very break. THe fish were caught about 5 ft deep on blue/chartreuse jigs tipped with minnows. I've been fishing a lot of Ky Lake this year with great success, but decided to try Barkley on these last two trips. I'll be going back to Barkley again this week. The fishing there is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys sounds like kyfisherman is wearing them out!...so ky fisherman do you think our timing will be ok next week or should we come down this week too?

Post Thanks / Like

I think either week will be fine for Barkley. With this unusual Spring we're having, there are crappie still in all stages of the spawn....including many still with eggs yet to be dropped, while some have already spawned. It may take just a bit of looking, but you should be able to find them. Over the years, I've noticed that Lake Barkley crappie tend to be a bit behind Ky Lake crappie when it comes to spawning, most likely due to the fact that Barkley warms a little slower than Ky does.