Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Post spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post spawn?

Does anyone here know about how long the process takes for the spawn? Then after the Spawn...where do they go? Must they recover? then do they start migrate back out to there summer homes?Our fish I think have been on the bank for almost two weeks...water temp 68 now...just wonder if I might catch them going back out with long troll tactic's....new beginner any ideas?
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it ... it can take as little as a week, up to several weeks. It's all up to the progression of the egg development, which is basically dependant upon water temps & adequate food source over the development timeframe.

Black Crappie tend to go/stay shallower than White Crappie, and stay shallow for a longer period of time. Crappie females move back out to the nearest drop & rest, while the males raise the fry. It's generally a slow progression for them to move back into deep water, but they will, eventually ... and they'll generally use the same route back out, as they used coming in.

With 68deg water temps ... I'd longline out away from the spawning banks, but I'd also cast a jig into the wood cover along those banks. No males on the banks ... I'd assume the spawn was over, and start concentrating on slightly deeper wood cover, working my way from the spawning banks out to the creek channel ... then on out to the creek mouth ... until I came in contact with them. Even so ... if I was there in the very early AM hours, I'd still have to cast a jig into any laydowns or wood cover close to the bank (esp if the water was >5ft deep).

... cp