Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tough Day at Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Day at Mark Twain

Hit the lake around 9:30 and ran to Dry Fork. Lots of boats, few fish. We put 4 or 5 in the boat, but they were few and far between. They were in 12+ FOW between 8 and 12 feet down. Sometimes they thumped it other time the line stopped falling and you had to set the hook. after a long stretch we ran to Little Indian. Nothing. Ran to Sandy Creek and finished like we started, deeper water 8-12 feet down. Total of a dozen fish between the three of us, all 10+ inches. Forewarning, the cleaning stations aren't open yet as it should be cold, no 90.

I chalk today up to blue bird skies. All the fish were full of eggs, but not real bloody yet. Few weeks left by my guess.

Good luck out ther, be safe and set the hook!
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! That lake can be funny! I went Saturday afternoon with a buddy and we limited in about 3 hours. The majority of the fish are still deeper. I had 65 temp! I only had 1 fish with eggs, so I think the rest where males.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why we made the day trip. In desperation I was on the phone to figure out what I was doing wrong and had several reports of hard fishing. Granted, some probably limited out and think I'm crazy, bu we worked for our dozen. All female, all deeper. Males are shallow and prepping for spawn.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

i went up there saturday morning and went into lick creek 7 keepers between 2 of us, same patteren after about 10 am we never got another bite

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the nicer days are the worst for fishing. With three guy fishing you would think you would have snagged a few more. I think it still going to be a couple of more weeks also. Going to be more boats as the spring goes on now so may have to take off a day during the week or else your going to be in a line like a fast food restuarant.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Friday with wife and caught 15 keepers (mostly 10 1/2 ). The only thing I could figure out is that they were scattered everywhere, deep to shallow. Some of my favorite spots had fish but not always keepers, and I would only catch 1 maybe two then nothing, yet go back 20 minutes later and catch another1 maybe 2. We even spider rigged for a little while and caught fish, but only one keeper and the wife caught it (turns out it was the biggest ) 11 1/2
    Water temp was 65 by 2pm, when I got home I checked water level and it rose by a quarter of foot, stayed about same Saturday and dropped a quarter on Sunday, I'm thinking the water level has more to do with it than anything. Last year water level was around 610 and steady for quite a while and I caught more fish than I have for long time.
    Only using jigs, 1/8 oz pink heads with blach/chart tube
    I Don't Know,but I can always use help

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are making me feel better. I'm no expert, but at least I can say I did OK compared to the experts!

We had water temps around 62 in Dry Fork and 65/66 in Sandy Creek and Little Indian. We were using blk/chrt tubes with nibble.

Probably won't get back up there until the first week May so there is a possibility that I miss the spawn, but I hope not. Never have actually hit the spawn and caught them on the bank.

Thanks Guys, good luck out there!
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

you did good cameron, some days your the windshield, some days your the bug.... could not figure out how to use crappie in the bug thing... this time of the year it is hit and miss at best... your time is comming be ready to set the hook.... later man

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt you'll miss the spawn, they don't all spawn at the same time. The way the weather is going you can never tell, predicting temps to fall this week and if they keep drawing water it's going to keep the fish off the banks
    I Don't Know,but I can always use help

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the report camalama, beagle is right it can be very hit and miss.