Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hillsdale crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hillsdale crappie fishing

Here is my report, kind of sucks but, here it goes. Me and the Mrs. fished HD point today, and battled the wind. Seemed to be the only way we could catch fish was on the move and that is a tough job when the wind is blowing into the cove. We had 4 keepers, and a few smaller ones. Nothing to brag about. Just thankful everything worked well on the big boat. I normally have some kind of a problem every time I take the big boat. Seems so much easier, just to throw on waders, or take the little boat. We fished from 9 - 12. Nothing shallow. Most were about 8 foot deep, and the boat had to be moving. Take care, and good fishing to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, at least you got out, better days ahead.
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the report Snagged...I really wondered how others did at HD this weekend. I fished both Saturday and Sunday morning. We could never put together any type of pattern. We did catch some fish both mornings shallow...a few right on the bank and a few just off the bank. All those fish were males...colored up. We didn't catch one box fish shallow...all males under 10"...all were caught on a jig under a float.

After the slow catch rate and small fish on the bank, I moved out off the bank and caught fish at all depths...suspended anywhere from 10ft - 20ft down in 16-22ft of water. Basically we picked up a fish here and there at various places but had to move a lot. My biggest fish...a 12" female, was at 20ft in 22ft of water. Only reason I even looked there was out of frustration.

We ended up only catching 36 fish with only 9 box fish. All box fish I caught came from deeper water. 6 of the 9 were females full of eggs.

We did not take any minnows...maybe that would have helped. All our efforts were with jigs.

I'm sure some folks figured it out this weekend...but not me....I struggled to put anything together.

If you did well at HD this weekend please share...hopefully I can learn something!

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the bank action shut off the past few days. Not sure what's going on. You guys think they spawned out yet and moved back?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I could copy and paste your report for our Saturday afternoon. We ended up working very hard for our 14 keepers. Threw banks and flats with sliders and found a few. Fish seemed very scattered. Little bull bridge looked quite popular, must be catching a few around there.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report snag. Atleast the boat worked right and you guys felt a few pulls. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was also out on Hillsdale on Sunday with much the same experience as has been described above. It was the first time on the water for the year, so I wasn't too worried about catching as I was about just getting out and fishing. We caught a few crappie shallow off of laydowns, but other than that it was tough to put anything together. Caught a few LM and whites off of jerkbaits in the shallows as well.

Hope somebody figured 'em out and can let us know what we were all missing
    "A system of capitalism presumes sound money, not fiat money manipulated by a central bank. Capitalism cherishes voluntary contracts and interest rates that are determined by savings, not credit creation by a central bank." Ron Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Took my 6 year old daughter out to HD on Saturday with her new Barbie pole in hand... She hooked into something by the rocks (assuming a largemouth) that peeled drag off of that 'fancy' reel of hers.... Didn't get it in, but it was absolutely the highlight of her day. She is extremely determined to catch that fish the next time we go now!
    Same to report as the others though... very slow on Saturday afternoon from the banks for us.