Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gray vs black crickets

Post Thanks / Like

Default gray vs black crickets

I have heard that brim will not bite black crickets as well as the store bought gray crickets, any truth to that or has anyone tried the black ones? Also heard you can catch the black ones with some bread with a little water and sugar under paper at night. Pretty new to this brim stuff and was wondering.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught lots of perch on black crickets. One of the things we do when doing yard work is collect al the black crickets that we see then do a little fishing when its done. I used to thinkk that the black ones would bite when I was a kid but haven't been bitten by one in the last 3 years when me and the kids started this. Never tried to bait them though might try just to know.

Good luck
    Rod

Post Thanks / Like

I have found this to be true but I dont know why. Hopefully someone can shed some ligth on this for us.

Post Thanks / Like

When I want crickets without going to the store to buy them, here is what I do.

I get a large old piece of plywood and lay it in the back corner of the yard. In a day or two I flip it up and get crickets from underneath . Or I go to the nearest cow pasture and flip over old hard cow paddies (chips) and find crickets underneath. The first method is better :D. I've done this to get crickets ever since I was little. I guess any cool dark place would be good to gather crickets to put in a cricket cage.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 05-12-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler
    When I want crickets without going to the store to buy them, here is what I do.

I get a large old piece of plywood and lay it in the back corner of the yard. In a day or two I flip it up and get crickets from underneath . Or I go to the nearest cow pasture and flip over old hard cow paddies (chips) and find crickets underneath. The first method is better :D. I've done this to get crickets ever since I was little. I guess any cool dark place would be good to gather crickets to put in a cricket cage.
    fish several ponds in cowpastures and do same thing...i believe they like the smell...they will be crickets under the paddies long after it frost. and them pasture ponds grow some BIG 'gills!!!