Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ? for Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? for Craig

Craig, there was a discussion on another site about what to catch put and take trout on. One of the posters commented that using corn should be illegal. His reasoning was that put and take rainbow trout can not digest the corn and any trout eating it will die, I am assuming also that he is talking about the practice of throwing the corn out to bait them in and other trout dying. Fact or Fiction?

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imajigger2 View Post
    Craig, there was a discussion on another site about what to catch put and take trout on. One of the posters commented that using corn should be illegal. His reasoning was that put and take rainbow trout can not digest the corn and any trout eating it will die, I am assuming also that he is talking about the practice of throwing the corn out to bait them in and other trout dying. Fact or Fiction?
    imajigger,

I am by no means a trout expert so to answer your question I contacted Crystal Lake Fisheries, Inc., which is the trout producer that provides fish for my winter trout fishery here at El Dorado. Crystal Lake Fisheries has been in the trout business for 61 years. Mr. Marvin Emerson said that for years corn was not used in trout feed because the trout could not digest the corn which equates to wasted money paying for and feeding something to the fish when it couldn't be utilized. He said that in recent years corn has been added in small amounts to trout feeds as recent findings show that trout may be able to use certain components of the corn within the feed mix but the corn content is quite low. Marvin's experience with trout eating whole kernel canned corn is that the corn just passes through the trout and he has not seen any harm resulting to the trout.