Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Sandy Kentucky Lake late March 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Sandy Kentucky Lake late March 2012

Fished Monday March 25th at Big Sandy with a friend (Chris Younger) local to the area. We but the boat in at Britton Ford Ramp on West Sandy Creek. I never saw so many crappie fisherman for a Monday. The ramp was over flowing and lots of crappie fishing boats on the water. Chris has been building stake beds during the winter months in this area. Most beds seem to be in 3' to 7' of water. Most all of the boats were fishing stake beds or some sort of underwater structure out in the middle of the creeks. Chris used his GPS to go right to the favorite spots. We stopped and at the first stake matt and caught a few quickly. Then Chris would use his GPS and trolling motor to move to the next place. Used 4lb line and crappie slider grubs, color JubeBug/Chartreuse and also use a few tube lures. The heads were 1/16oz and 1/8oz. I used a double lite thin wire hook. This hook was thin enough that when hung..the line could be pulled and most times it would straighten and come loose. Then bend the wire back into place and keep fishing without a retie. This was a new area and fishing it was different for me. Basically we moved in very close to the stake matt and did short cast. The lure would fall to the bottom (only a few feet). Then we would rise the lure up about 6" to 10" above the bottom and hold the grub in this position. The movement of the boat just a little would cause the lure to have a little action. Crappie would pick the lure up and we would set the hook. Fished about 4 1/2hours total and had 19 keepers and about 10 throw backs. A keeper in Tennessee must be 10". The wind picked up some but not bad. Another good day fishing. I think fishing must have been good all over the area from the looks of all the boats on the water. Some video is on YouTube. charlie brewer....

Name:  chrisyounger2.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  33.6 KBName:  BigSandy.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  30.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish and a nice report. Thank you

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Great report you say you " I used a double lite thin wire hook." could you please give us some info on that litewire hook, thanks & good fishing to ya.......
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Good report, Chris can catch em!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!