Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Craig

Melvern the 03/27 the water looked great on the East end toward the dam. 03/28 there was a bunch of green moss globs floating around and the water kinda looked green. One of my fishing buddies insisted that the lake had turned over, I was skeptical of this as the water temps had not changed. What would cause a bunch of green algae to suddenly occur this time of year. I suspect a bloom with all the hot water and the recent rain with the runoff.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog40 View Post
    Melvern the 03/27 the water looked great on the East end toward the dam. 03/28 there was a bunch of green moss globs floating around and the water kinda looked green. One of my fishing buddies insisted that the lake had turned over, I was skeptical of this as the water temps had not changed. What would cause a bunch of green algae to suddenly occur this time of year. I suspect a bloom with all the hot water and the recent rain with the runoff.
    Blackdog40,

I doubt the changes you saw were a result of lake turnover. If spring turnover were to occur, it would do so when the surface temperature reached 39F and we've been past that a long time!

Globs of 'moss' floating around can be the result of algae that covers rocks and other substrates being dislodged by either inflow or wind or simply aging/maturing enough that it cuts loose from the substrate and floats around. Some algaes becoming 'bubbly' with the oxygen they produce which causes them to float to the surface.

Green water would likely be the result of an phytoplankton bloom. Not all blooms are bad. I haven't seen the lake first hand so I can't say for certain. With our warmer than normal water temperatures this year a few of my lakes are greener than usual for this time of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Craig for the answer. Hey who is taking Yeraks spot?

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog40 View Post
    thanks Craig for the answer. Hey who is taking Yeraks spot?
    Blackdog40,

I don't know...yet. The position was announced and closed a couple of weeks ago. That's about all I know right now.