Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Accuracy

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Accuracy

I haven't purchased a GPS in a long time. I think mine is a Garmin II. How is the accuracy on the newer units. Is it realistic to sink a brush pile in the middle of the lake and be able to pinpoint it with a handheld unit, drop anchors and tightline fish?

I am just totally out of touch with where technology has taken the GPS market. Any idea on brands or what it would cost to set up with a one that can locate brushpiles or condos accurately?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had great luck with ETREX LEGEND. I have along with some partners sunk around 3 dozen Crappie houses in the last couple of years. We have not lost one yet. The legend will get me within 8-10 foot every time.
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure that you get WAAS enabled. This will allow your unit to triangulate a more accurate position. It should get you almost on top of the cover/structure. Then use your DF to mark the exact location.

Post Thanks / Like

They will get you with in 8 to 10 feet, close enough to find it with the depth finder.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Lowarance LMS 480... with WAAS... Unit and Maps prices have gone down. Accuracy is about 3 ft. If ya got the cash... the 334 has an internal antenna and the color is great.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Post Thanks / Like

My old lowarance global 100 will get me close enought to find the cover/structure in deep water with my depth finder. For me, I am not sure if it is worth the $$$$ to upgrade. What do you think?
    marvin

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have 3 handheld GPS units, 2 of them are Garmin, 1 of them is a Lowrance I-finder Pro. The two Garmin units I have are similiar but totally different. The least expensive one is a Garmin 72, this unit does not have maps available, but it will hold over 500 waypoints, and believe it or not I have a Garmin 76 color unit that I paid over 400 dollars for and the 160 dollar Garmin 72 is still my best unit. The Lowrance will only get down to a 80 foot scale (.02 miles) but the 76 and 72 Garmin will go down to a 20 foot scale. I got the Garmin 72 at walmart for about 150 bucks. It has WAAS, which is important. Hope this helps, Personally I would highly recommend them. I have may spots out in the middle of the lake so to speak, and never have any trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have...

a Garmin 76 gsx and could not live without it on big lakes. I bought the fishing hot spots of the Eastern US. WHile on a recent fishing trip, i pre-mapped waypoints on my laptop, downloaded them to the garmin. FIshed all day, marking way points on it and then uploaded to my laptop that night. I then strategized for the next day and litterally took out of the dock in the dark and my pre marked routes took me right to my spots. Todays models have features that make your whole experience more enjoyable, you always know where you are and you without a doubt can fish smarter.

my .02

twister
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Etrex Legend Color and it is very accurate. Within a few feet everytime. It also has a feature that will average out your locations to get an even more accurate reading. They are easy to setup and use and have lots of storage capacity for additional maps. I would highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Lowrance H2O handheld unit & I love it, I know others on this board dont care for it much but I happen to like it & its pretty user friendly:D
    Like the others said make sure it has WAAS
    Hope this helps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast