Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Suggestions On Updating Equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Suggestions On Updating Equipment

Hey folks, I want to update my outdated depthfinder and trolling motor. Right now I have an Eagle Ultra Classic and the old 28 thrust Minn-Kota foot control trolling motor. I have a sticksteer boat that we really like and I can get by with one Humminbird unit as long as I can switch to the trolling motor transducer when I drop the trolling motor. I would like to see down imaging while jigging brushpiles and stake beds.
    I am considering any of the Humminbird side imaging units all the way up to the 1158 but I don't know that I really need that big of a unit. I think that I want to go with the 24 volt Minn-Kota Maxxum with Digital Maximizer. I want something that will cover a couple hundred yards pretty quick so I don't have to start up the big motor to get to the next spot. I've decided after reading reviews that the I-Pilot would not serve my purpose as well because the spot lock would probably not hold me on a 4 foot square object.
    Please chime in with any thoughts or suggestions?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the imaging (down or side) units will require a different transducer than the one built into Minn Kota trolling motors. I do think there is a switch you can buy to switch from transom to trolling motor ducers, you'll just have to run a ducer on the outside of the trolling motor. My buddy just bought a 596 DI HD. It's a nice unit for up front, but I wouldn't trade it for my 798ci si.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I wasn't thinking about a built in transducer. I planned on getting a separate transducer.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of the powerdrive motors, so I'll hold my comments after your statement on your preference. I had a HB 565 with the setup you speak of. It's now out of production, and the 570 that is close is available in DI. The switch was about $75 and worth every penny. My stick boat was super light and blew around badly, and the 40lb TM wasn't enough to move it in a stiff wind. however I had no issues with the HB setup, it worked as advertised. I still miss my stick boat 3 yrs later.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i have a humminbird 798 an a lowrance hds 5 i like the hds better it is easier to use an u get more on the maps the humminbird has to have a chip to get anything. as for t. motor if money no object go i pilot i don,t have one yet. got to sell a kidney to pay for it lol

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit View Post
    Hey folks, I want to update my outdated depthfinder and trolling motor. Right now I have an Eagle Ultra Classic and the old 28 thrust Minn-Kota foot control trolling motor. I have a sticksteer boat that we really like and I can get by with one Humminbird unit as long as I can switch to the trolling motor transducer when I drop the trolling motor. I would like to see down imaging while jigging brushpiles and stake beds. I am considering any of the Humminbird side imaging units all the way up to the 1158 but I don't know that I really need that big of a unit. I think that I want to go with the 24 volt Minn-Kota Maxxum with Digital Maximizer. I want something that will cover a couple hundred yards pretty quick so I don't have to start up the big motor to get to the next spot. I've decided after reading reviews that the I-Pilot would not serve my purpose as well because the spot lock would probably not hold me on a 4 foot square object.
    Please chime in with any thoughts or suggestions?

Be aware that any down imaging or side imaging unit is supposed to be be moving to create the composed image that is seen on the screen as a "picture like" image...

The sonar beam in these units are a thin fan-shaped beam that must "ping" a new section of the water at each "ping" to compile them together to create the "picture like" image...

This is not to say that it cannot be used stationary...but the unit will be "pinging" the same section of water over and over so as to create an image that is blurred all the way across the screen...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

On the trolling motor issue. I had to rig out a new boat not long ago And spent months trying to find what would be the best around for me. Was used to a johnson TM on my bass boat for years. But wanted this new boat to be more for spider rigging and some bass fishing ,at times. No tournaments and running and gunning anymore So I didn't want. A mounted foot control. Cause I will eventually use this boat as my duck hunting boat , one day. When my other one. Lays down on me. But I also didn't. Want a foot control bouncing around on the front deck in this boat. When in the stowed position and the hard wired foot control being in the way , to get slammed in rough waves.
    Anyway. After talking to local fisherman and spider riggers. Some suggested the Auto pilot and although it had a small wiring system. I finally. Decided to go with the. Motor guide remote control foot controlled one. It's 24 volt and 75 pound thrust. Which will push my 18. 60 triton aluminum boat around like a mule. But the thing I liked about this model was I can operate the trolling motor from anywhere In the boat. And if. I have a partner with me on front. I can just kick this half moon looking foot control, over to them.
    Or when my kids Are with me. I can operate things from the back deck or anywhere But I don't have a wire. To get tangled I'm pretty anal about the stuff being in the right place. To avoid me ,the kids, the adults. From getting into it But with 25 ft of range. I can set back and allow whoever to stay up front while I have control of the boat. Like. When I'm culling or fixing a mess a catfish pulled on my rig. But the electric drive is pretty quite and will go so slow that you can see the prop turn. And to take the TM off. All that's left is a hold down plate which I liked. Cause there is nothing in my way while hunting outta this boat. But I didn't get the one With the built in transducer. So if one thing tore up. I wouldn't lose two things at once.
    Sorry for such a long answer. But I was scared of the auto pilot minn kotas. Had. A friend that had issues with theirs for years. Not that this means they ain't good ones. I just liked that. I could. Set In the back seat and allow the boys to watch the poles up front. And me just. Control it. While I messed. With their backlashes. But I've had it for several years now. And haven't had any issues. Other than the way you have to attach the transcuder on it. And the wiring remain outta the way when deploying or stowing it.
    Jesus Saves!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in on the Minn Kota 24 volt tm. I have a Triton aluminum 18 x 60 boat and it came with a Minn Kota Maxxum 55 lb (12 volt). Any wind at all and I was up on 3 or 5 speed to try to get it to hold. I got tired of fooling with it last year and I bought a Minn Kota Maxxum 80 lb (24 volt) in February and mounted it. Best move I ever made. 24 volt was all new to me and it was not a problem wiring the batteries or anything else. The motor is super quiet and so far I have fished in some 30 mph gusts and I could easily pull against them. Better yet, I have yet to run my batteries down this year in a day's worth of fishing.
    As far as the side imaging, down imaging, I don't have a clue. I have a Lowrance X 135 on my bow with a transducer mounted on the foot of my trolling motor.

Good luck on the trolling motor. You might look at Cabelas as they have the 42" 80lb Maxxum's on sale for $899. You can add shipping or other discounts with the sale price.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks arkcrappie!
    CATCH A BIG-UN