Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long crankbait pole

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Long crankbait pole

Does anyone use a 10 foot or longer pole for trolling Bandits? I would like to buy a couple. Currently I use 2- 7 1/2 footers and 2- 5 1/2 footers. I put a 7 1/2 and a 5 1/2 on each side of the boat but I would like to run a longer pole ahead of them on each side. Any suggestions? Speck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Speckhunter - I would suggest you buy the latest issue (May/june) of Crappie World magazine. There are two good articles that may be of benefit to you. One article deals with crankbait trolling and one is on how to choose the right crappie rod. They discuss the use of pullin rods (11 foot) designed for trolling crankbaits. Hope this helps.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

B&M has heavy trolling rods 12', 14', & 16'.

http://www.bnmpoles.com/02_trolling_rods.html

Here is interesting article.

http://www.bnmpoles.com/newsletter/100404/100404.html
    I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Running longer rods is one way of doing it, but you can also have two other options. One, the angle by which the rod is to the water in combination with the amount of line out will allow you to run multiple rods from a single side of the boat. Two, you can employ the use of planer boards to keep your lines separate.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Speckhunter- Wally Marshall Tighline special rods, from BP work great for pulling crank baits. Come in 12,14,& 16 foot.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 12 ft Wally Marshall Tite line Specials for my outside poles and they work very well.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile crankbait trolling

Many different ways of keeping lines out yet seperate,personally I only use 6`6in. rods for long lining, one out each side-150ft back. one out each side of the back 100` back (changes the depth even if using the same lures). One out each side on downriggers, only 50` back. Can make turns at will, seldom ever tangle. 6 rods all the same length, can cover a variety of depths. Many different ways this is just what works for me. possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

Scheels all sports make an awesome 10 1/2 trolling rod.Its designed for walleye but they work awesome on crappie.Loomis makes some nice ones as well.Ive got a pair of 12 footers that Ive had for a few years, they're very pricey, but they are so sensitive.Scheels trolling rods are under a hundred bucks and theyre in the process of designing a 12 footer.On a side note Scheels also came out with a little 5 foot trolling rod thats great.Up north here we can only run two rods per person.Makes a nice trolling spread with 2 12 footer straight out each side and then the 2 shorties.This has eleminated the need to run boards to keep the lures from tangling.I know they dont have scheels all sport down south, but you can look them up on the web find a store that has the rod and theyll UPS them to you.One more thing they have a life time replacement policy no questions asked.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out Outlaw rods. They make some awesome 10ft rods too.