Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Discovered 30 acre pond, never really fished, need advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Discovered 30 acre pond, never really fished, need advice

My good buddy just found out that his wife's aunt has several ponds on her property, one being 30 acres. No one ever fishes in it & my buddy and I are going to spend a day trying to find out what exists. He has a hunch that it's loaded with bluegill & crappie. If you were going to this place, what would be a must have? There's a small boat with a trolling motor we can use and we just planned on setting up about 3 rigs a piece. Maybe a double feather jig rig, maybe some live bait like minnows & nightcrawlers and just making a day out of it. Anything that we absolutely need? We're mostly bass fishermen, really just starting out on the crappie and smaller sunfish.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest Beer and a large cooler as a must have:D

Post Thanks / Like

ROADRUNNERS...water clarity will determine color of bodies. I like black with chartruese triple tail. If bream or crappie live in the lake they will hit it.

I fish a private 40 acre lake myself and throw nothing but roadrunners. Catch fish until I'm tired and go home.

Do you know how deep the lake is?

The lake I fish is relatively shallow throughout with the max. depth being 10 ft. I can catch fish by just drifting down the center of the lake.

Hope this helps

By the way, if you don't use superglue to hold your bodies on you need to. Just a dab on the jig body and press it to the jig head. You will catch a whole lot more fish w/ one body that way.

Post Thanks / Like

a jig will catch anything!!!! I like them with a spinner too!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could go back to basics, number 10 hook and meal worms, red worms under a bobber. Sound like a fun day. Have fun

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a find. I'm envious!!! If the boat you're using doesn't have a fish/depth finder on it, I'd spend the time to hook one up. I'd have some marker bouys handy, learn the lay of land (so to speak) and fish according to what you find whether you're going to cast for crappie, pitch jigs or dip minnows. You just can't really know how to fish for what if you don't know what it looks like under the surface. After that, you'll know the pond and you can tear'em up whenever you want. If the crappie and bream are thin you should harvest as many as you can because they are over populated. Sounds like fun to me. Let us know how it goes.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]