Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smorgasbord

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Smorgasbord

Met my bud Todd, or TennTodd here on CDC, this morning and we carried our respective boats to Tims Ford for a little education. This isn't an average lake and some time must be invested to get a good limit from it. Got to the lake about 7 and we picked a creek of boathouses each and proceeded to do our best. As the day went on the wind picked up and made boat control a problem. A bluff and couple of coves were the best I could find, and the fish cooperated as best they could. Today was a day of multi species. Caught and released a walleye while shooting docks, small but a big surprise to me. He was no more than 10" and as big around as a hammer handle. Also Hybrid Bass, smallmouth, largemouth, spotted bass (2 were 2lbs or more), 'gill, white bass, and white and black crappie. A carp and a catfish and I would had a monster slam. LOL 5 crappie made the cut and went home with Todd about 2:30, and I was ready for a snack. I have the next couple of days off and hope to get another chance or two to get a mess for the freezer. None of today's catch was swollen like those from last week, so maybe we're moving thru the spawn cycle, water temps were 65 degrees. I had a ball, can't wait til my next trip. Thanks for visiting with me today.....Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Skeet sounds like a fun day. You practicing dock shooting?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day
    Wishin I was Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! Sounds like a blast, way to make a great day on less than perfect conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Charlie, I'm getting better all the time. Had a lot of shorts today, fun getting them out of the tight places. The Walleye while shooting docks was a hoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great..........
    RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT!

"Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once"

Post Thanks / Like

grats skeet,

with a day like that you are always on the edge of your seat wonderin what will bite next and that is always fun .......... good job sir

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Yes Charlie, I'm getting better all the time. Had a lot of shorts today, fun getting them out of the tight places. The Walleye while shooting docks was a hoot.
    I'll bet it was, Skeet !! Reminds me of a trip to a local lake, where a late buddy & I were casting jigs to a submerged tree at the mouth of a creek. The Crappie bite slowed, so I grabbed another pole that had a Roadrunner on it & began casting down the main lake bank, a pea gravel section along a rocky bank just outside of the creek mouth. We took 6 keeper Walleyes off that piece of bank, and released 4 non-keepers. Made a decent Crappie fishing day into a real "hoot" Rofl

Next time you go, don't forget to follow up your dock shooting with "Vertical Casting" around those dock poles. Not only can it sometimes add a fish or two more to your catch ... but, it can also verify how deep the Crappie are holding, which can cut down on the time it takes to find that sweet spot in the water column with the countdown method.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

No poles Pappy, all floating docks. They orient themselves to the available shade, which means you got to shoot em deep. Any brush in between is always tried too.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great day!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast