Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what is with the color red?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy what is with the color red?

howdy;

i've heard people talk about using red hooks; because they trigger the 'blood lust' in fish or makes the bait appear to be injured.
    i've also heard that people will use a fishing line like cajun redline because it disappears so quickly in the water.
    known fact is that red is the first color to disappear in water but not till you get to 30 feet or so.

question is; just another marketing ploy by bait and line companies?

just thinking.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have often wondered that too, I guess it's one of those mysteries of life. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have tried red hooks and cant tell the difference.i usealey use gold hooks #2 and what ever line they put on the reel i git
    retired and now i will always fish

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My honey is red headed!!!

Well kinda. She will let you know quickly that she does not use dye. lol. When you get the red figured out, let me know. There is something about red that cranks my John Dere.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Aberdeen

I've found one source for red aberdeen crappie hooks -- Bass Pro. I've found that most of the time it doesn't make a difference. But, when the bite is tough and they won't hit anything else, the red hook does make a difference. I don't use them all the time, but rather keep them on the side kinda as the ace in the hole last resort.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Tried them before and had no difference

Post Thanks / Like

Default red hooks

I do not know if they work or not but I make all my jigs with blood red hooks, gold and black colors. I mold about the equal number of each. I paint about ½ of them. I have tried molding some with 1x hooks in 3/32 & 1/16 size to tip with minnows.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Default there is one difference

The big difference in these hooks are the price - My father-in-law lives on the carolina coast and they have done experiments for the past 2 years and they have actually found that gold hooks work better in saltwater than the red ones - problem is it is hard to find gold saltwater hooks - have tried the khale hook but we seem to lose a lot of flounder with these hooks - but the biggest difference in the red is the price is much higher
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ive noticed no difference in the strike ratio of the red hooks or the gold ones. except the price. Ive used the bass pro hooks #4 and caught no more or no less than i catch on the gold eagle claw hooks. also, the red starts wearing off the hooks after a little use. more money throwed up a wild hogs butt as far as im concerned. ill stick with the gold and blacks..
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...