Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: any Minn Kota troll motor problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default any Minn Kota troll motor problems

I am evaluating Minn Kota trolling motor choices for a 12' jon boat.

have narrowed choice to transom mount 36 to 46 thrust and models
    Vector, Maxxum or Endura.

I have mounted bass seats to two benches (not pedestal) on this 4' wide boat.
    Being an occasional fisherman I probably will sit mostly when fishing for Bass and ocasionally for trout and crappie. I doubt I will stand much.

I guess the main question is about reliability of 5 speed vs variable and the question of steering between tilt, tilt twist, or telescopic. Also, there is a question of props between power, weedless, or weedless 2.

I would value your opinion.

Thank You,

FMab :p
    Everyone ought to believe in something.
    I believe I'll go fishing!
    :D

I fish because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. :)

John Volker retired Michigan Supreme Court justice.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with the biggest thrust you can and definately variable speed. You won't regret it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ibnfshn Has It Right
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Just brought a endura 40# 36" pretty well satisfied with it. Use it on TWRA lakes and such. Would have got bigger and better but cost was a problem. More thrust and variable are much better choices. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5 speed...currently replacing the speed switch...I understand things will break and this should not be a big deal to replace (hopefully under warranty)...however, I agree with those that say variable speed. I've tried trolling for crappie and sometimes the TM wants to go too fast on the lowest speed setting. I believe a variable would let you just get the blade spinning and not go quite so fast. If you bass fish, you'll probably want to go as fast as possible so this might not be important to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an Minncota Endura 46# thrust on my 16' jon boat with good results. It has 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds. It has a telescopic handle which is nice. It costs $200 in the new BassPro catalog and is worth the money in my opinion. I have a Johnson foot control unit I could mount if I wanted to but I like my Enduro.

Post Thanks / Like

I had problems after 3 years due to the wire rubbing and shorting out to the switch. It is the Endura 36# thrust and works very well on my 16 ft alweld. I taped the wire and tighten the connections and it worked great. Only problems I ever had encept for running down the battery so I connected 2 and solved the problem. Ray

Post Thanks / Like

My first Minkota lasted 40 years with out a single problem. Still ran fine at the end even the plastic housing was falling apart. Just duck taped it and ran another two years. You can't beat them for dependability.........

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 4Hp MinnKota on the transom and a 48Lb foot controlled MinnKota on the bow of my 14 foot jon boat , both 24 volt . I bought them both used 6 years ago and have only replaced the props . I do use the weedless wedge prop on both and love them . I've never had a single problem with the motors . I will say that having used 12 volt minnkota's before I bought these , the 24 volt motors last wwwaaayyy longer . And the 48 lb'er on the bow will throw me like a bull if it's turned to the side when I hit the pedal without checking the direction indicator first . Other than that I would'nt want to fish without it.