Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 7 Foot Sam Heaton Super Sensitive Fishing Rod (just bought want a reel to pair with)

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7 Foot Sam Heaton Super Sensitive Fishing Rod (just bought want a reel to pair with)

I just bought the Sam Heaton 7ft super sensitive and its waiting on me at the house. I was wondering you guys think a Pflueger President 6925 (holds 110 yards of 4lb) would be a good match for it? I have a few of the reels and I'm going to basspro today when I get off work so any suggestions on what I should get to go with it or do you guys think the pflueger will work just fine?

Thanks,

Michael

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the 2000 series reels for the bigger spool, which doesn't create such a tight coil in the line absorbing the thump we live for. Also for the bigger drag discs which give a smooth action. Loosen the drag a bit when you're thru for the day and the reel will last a very long time. I wear out gears before I have drag issues. Don't know if the model you stated falls into the size I speak of, but the President I have is super smooth. You'll love the Sam Heaton.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If it were me ... I'd take the rod along & try a few different reels on it. The one reel that matches best with it, will be the reel that balances best with that rod. Put the reel on ... put a finger under the frontmost part of the handle ... and let go. If the reel balances with that rod, it should balance on your finger. If it falls towards the rod tip, the reel isn't quite heavy enough ... and if it falls towards the handle end, the reel is too heavy. You "can" get by with a (slightly) "too heavy" reel, if you're going to be using it as a primary casting outfit ... but, a tip heavy outfit is going to wear on your wrist, whether casting or jigging with it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

The Pflueger President is an excellent reel but I prefer the "30" size. Like Skeetbum said, it makes for larger coils of line and doesn't seem to produce as many tangles. You can't go wrong with the President though, they are super smooth and have a very nice drag.

Post Thanks / Like

i have the bass pro carbon lite on my 9 ft heaton and it feels great havent had the reel more than a month so i cant honestly say how well they hold up, but so far i like it alot

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

That is one dandy of a crappie/panfish rod you have there! Mine has a Shimano Symetre 750 series (not made anymore I believe) which balances out perfectly with this rod. I load mine with #2 lb. Trilene mono. Have used this rig for many years now. Totally satisfied. Now I'm thinking about getting a new one (rod) in this same series, only in 9' length.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

shimano sedona with mr.crappie hi-vis 4lb line
    Right Mental Attitude
    CrazyAngler Pro Staff Memer, Home of the Slab Bandits!
    CrappiePro Pro Staff Member
    HighPoint Taxidermy Pro Staff Member
    Likes Ralo79 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Pfleuger President is a very nice reel. I fish that same size on my 5' poles and I like the way that balances, but like was suggested with the longer rod the next size up might balance a bit better, a little more weight in the butt to keep the tip from being top-heavy might actually result in less effort using the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pfluger trion on one of my sams and a president on another. they are both nice reels.... I have an okuma ultra lite 10 on a sams pole to but that things wore out after only 2 seasons....
    Happy Hooken.....