Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock shooting ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock shooting ???

I have never shot a jig under the docks,so in saying when is the best time to be shooting docks? Now during the spawn, post spawn or during the summer months?

Post Thanks / Like

well, I learned the basics in my first attempt at dock shootin' last weekend on Weiss Lake, my "guide" Pop Rivers gave me a short lesson on how to do it, and then proceded to put a hurtin' on the ones hiding under the docks. I ended up catching 2 or 3 dinks shooting docks, but it took WAY too many attempts to get one "shot" back under the dock where it needed to go. When I did get a shot back under the dock, that's when I caught mine. Pop was catching 3-4 to my 1. :o I was advised to look for deep water docks if all possible, and go from there. I've been practicing on the driveway trying to get the hang of it. I would say you can shoot docks just about anytime you're on the water and see a dock that has potential.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g3man View Post
    I have never shot a jig under the docks,so in saying when is the best time to be shooting docks? Now during the spawn, post spawn or during the summer months?
    if you've never tried it, you might be interested more in "how" than "when" ... since, like Jimp says, it can work year around (depending on the lake & type of docks & depth of water & season ... in some areas).

Floating docks are OK, and you can shoot them ... they're just a little more difficult. Stationary docks, those on poles, are better ... and of those, the ones in deep water and with brush piles/trees under them, are usually more productive.
    The whole idea of dock shooting is essentially the same as casting over a brushpile/laydown ... just the method of getting your jig to the target area is different, since you're slingshotting the jig rather than arm casting it.

I invite you to read thru this thread & pick up some tips/info to get yourself started : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ecnique-2.html

Then read this article, and use this method as a followup to your dock shooting, "after" or even "during" the time you're shooting a dock : Vertical Casting

Then pick out the outfit that you intend to use for shooting docks .... and practice, practice, practice. Even then, you'll find yourself shooting your jig over the top of the dock, straight up in the air or down into the water, smack against the side of the dock, or basically anywhere & everywhere other than where you want it to go. But, don't feel bad when it happens ... I've been shooting docks for over 10yrs, and I still misfire every now & then Rofl

You can also scroll down as far as this page will let you, and check out the "Similar Threads" section. There you'll find several threads on the subject, and you might get some more info/opinions on how & when & where.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on the similar posts, I read them all,and if im correct you can shot docks pretty much any time. I understand the how,its the when im conserned with. Is anytime better than the rest?

Post Thanks / Like

Go to youtube.com then type in dock shooting for crappie. they have some nice video on weiss lake and some other lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what CP said....ALTHOUGH....

floating docks IMHO hold more fish, but they're HARRRD to get back into because of the nature of the small openings they generally offer.

Post Thanks / Like

what size lures do you experienced guys use, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 ? I've heard of the countdown method, (how fast a lure will drop or fall in the water depending on the size or weight) can someone refresh my memory ???
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/32 personally. I may be the minority though.

Post Thanks / Like

G3 MAN,I prefer 1/24 hand tied jigs with a number 4 sickle hook. They cost anywhere from $5.00 per dozen up to $7.50 per dozen. I also shoot plastic body jigs made by JIFFY JIGS here in Georgia. They will ship product anywhere. The dock shooting is best here with water temp is between 60 and 80 degrees. I see you are from the home of SUPERMAN. We stay in Metropolis each fall on our way up to Taylorville, Illinois to bowhunt.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    what size lures do you experienced guys use, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 ? I've heard of the countdown method, (how fast a lure will drop or fall in the water depending on the size or weight) can someone refresh my memory ???
    I think most use a 1/16oz ... but, 1/32 & 1/24 are pretty commonly used, too.

My reference to "countdown method" was less scientific ... I was just referring to counting from 1-2 on the first series of casts, then counting to 3-4 on the next series, & so on until all levels of the water column depth were covered.
    One can also shoot the jig & just let it fall back on tight line, not reeling until the jig is under the boat or hits bottom on the way in.

Since I've mostly found the Crappie to be suspended under docks ... either method presents the jig to their level, at some point in the retrieve.

... cp