Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where are the Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where are the Crappie?

I haven't done much crappie fishing in the spring. Where should I be looking for the crappie and what techniques? I'm guessing water 5' and shallower tossing a jig, but I would like any suggestions. As warm as it has been lately do you think the crappie may have already finished spawning and moved back to deeper water? I am in South MS by the way.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say if they have spawned or not, but I would still try the banks first and work out using a jig and jig pole. Fish all the cover and if any grass fish it.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT!

"Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once"

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are in the water....and I would suggest using some fishing line and a hook...maybe a minnow on the end. :D

Depends on where you are at. I know the crappie here are not spawning yet and are not REAL shallow.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't all spawn at once, so you might find them on the steeper banks staging to do their thing. Keep trying different presentations til one works.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Southern Middle Tennessee. Some of our fish are just now starting to lay eggs. So i'm guessing the fish down where you're at are the fish in full swing. Meaning you should be able to catch them on jigs in 5'-8' of water. Also try pulling road runners around in likely spawning areas to find active fish. You might also try pulling some cranks for larger fish that have already spawned and moved out a little deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Last week in central Mississippi with the day time temperatures in the 80s and night temperatures in the 60s they were staging to spawn. A cold front moved and it rained for days. The rain broke the staging movement they went back to deep water. After a couple days of warmer temperatures and sunshine they are starting to stage again. They're being real unpredictable, After the weather threw em a fast curve ball they're a bit confused. If the weather continues steady and stable crappie will become more consistent and predictable in just a few days.