Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy Days

Post Thanks / Like

Default Windy Days

On windy days do you guys find it better to fish in the rougher waters, or find a calm spot to fish from?

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing directly in a strong wind is a pain since I have a small boat. Wind does have it's advantages though, especially if it has been blowing in the same direction for a few ways. A couple of weekends ago I was fishing the Tenn. River and nobody in the creek was catching much. The wind was blowing 15 - 20 mph and gusting. I fished the creek for about three hrs. before I finally found the pattern. The fished were stacked up on the wind blown side of the creek. The bank was featureless except for some weed beds. The fish were suspended 25 - 30 yds. off the bank but relating mostly to the grass.

Bottom line to your question. If I have chance to go fishing, a little wind will not keep me at the house. I fish in the wind until I can't take it any longer or can't effectively feel my jig anymore. I then move into a cove for protection. My experience has shown that if the good places to fish are where the wind is blowing the fish are still there if you can figure out how to stay on top of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I very much dislike fishing in the wind. When the wind gets 15mph or above, I've found that I'm not presenting the bait correctly at an appropriate depth and staying in the strikezone only a small fraction of the time. Why fish in an unproductive manner. So, finding a spot out of the wind should increase your chances of landing more slabs.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the wind. Normally I use a small 4-stroke kicker for trolling maybe 20 yards off a bank, my preferred method. When I take hands off the tiller to bait a hook, tie a line, open a beer or hold a quart milk jug with one hand and the other to....oh well, you get the idea, the boat takes off for the bank and I must grab the tiller or go aground or worse :D . On second thought, holding the beer in my hand is not a problem. So I try to find a large cove on the lee side and hope the wind does not follow me around, like it did yesterday. Most of the weight is in the rear of the boat, which causes the front to ride high and catch the slightest breeze. If no one is along, I put all my tackle in the front for ballast then its back and forth. Strongly considering the auto-pilot. I hate the wind. Maybe when I am alone I should go sailing instead but then I would fuss it was blowing the wrong way :o .

Post Thanks / Like

I do not like strong wind, can't feel right, can't cast right and it's generally a pain in the rear. I am with Darryl, if the wind is above 15 MPH I will probably stay off the water. I really like just a light breeze say less than 10 MPH. Just enough to help keep the bugs away and make it a little cooler.

Using light line in the wind... well other than trouble casting, if you are fishing across the wind you just have no feeling for the light bite with light jigs with much line bow from the wind and I think no one likes casting into the wind so it's just too restrictive.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I just throw out two anchor socks and drift.
    I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I should also say I live on water here on Toledo Bend and it helps living here because I don't have any trip to take to go fishing. It make me a little more selective on the days I go since I can go any time I want.

Don't really care what the weather man says, just look out the back of my house and see for my self.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I too dislike strong winds. I either stay home[15 mph & above] or find a place a little more protected!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just me, but I like fishing in the wind - as long as my boat isn't in danger
    of sinking It doesn't seem to bother the fish, like someone said, several
    days in a row the same direction, the windward side is better in my opinion.
    Gotta get a bigger boat
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I fish from the bank and/or switch species I fish for on very windy days. I have better luck when the wind is blowing some than when it is perfectly still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast