Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to hear from the true crappie fishers

Post Thanks / Like

Default I want to hear from the true crappie fishers

What do you consider as the best quality fishin conditions for crappie water temp etc. And what bait do you recommend for the spring temps.

How bad does the rain affect a string of good sunny days?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

nice post slabs...

Some more questions for you true anglers. Slip bobbers or regular bobbers? A plain hook or a jighead?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not trying to be a smart elick

I go every chance I get, and so the weather doesn't affect me unless it's lightning. Almost never catch fish on a water rise. Don't like high winds, but will fish in them. Never had a water temp meter. I try to adjust to whatever they like. Found fish this winter in 2-6 feet of water and tore them up. That's normally a NO-NO. When I leave at the end of the day, I've tried just about all I know to try.

ed420: I use slip corks and I mold my own jigheads. I use hair jigs alot also.

Hope this helps some. I realize it's not exactly what you wanted, but my advice is always "GO". If nothing else, you can learn what to do or not do on your next trip. Try different tactics, depths, jigs or baits, and presentations.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember a day fishing that wasn't productive when it was raining. I would rather it be overcast for sure over high blue skies. Most of this is due to high blue skies usually being directly related to fishing behind a front.

Went fishing on the Tenn. River yesterday and the afternoon started out sunny. Caught a few fish here and there but many were dinks. The wind started blowing a little and it clouded up. Went back to the same areas I had just fished and WALLA...there they were. Now the question is were they there the first time and I just missed them or were they just not interested? Not really sure but I know that is the only condition that changed.

Used to use regular bobbers. Then I picked up some slip bobbers and have never gone back. Slip bobbers are just way to versatile not to have them on my rod.

Loading up for Realfoot...Gotta go!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll fish any type of water clarity and any type of water temp. I perfer the water to cold. Love fishing from January to the end of May. Like if water to be slightly stained but out here in California there isn't much of that around me so I deal with the clear water. I have almost stopped using round head jigs and have started using horsehead jigs. Bait wise I let the fish tell me what to use. Out here they love white (because the quanitity of shad year round here). If I use a float I use a slip float like a wing-it float. If I do use a slip float I'll use a round head jig. Well that's pretty much what I have to say about that.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Productive or not productive one thing we need to think about and smile is that we got to go fishing... For me anytime I can get out, as we all know everytime we go out we will learn something new... If you do not "your not fishing" and maybe you should try to find another sport.... Great Post Slabs!!!!!
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Amen brother...preach on!

We still live in th greatest country in the world. Just having the oppurtunity to go fishing is a blessing. In fact I'm going right now.

Later.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it to be overcast with water not too clear. Have done very well in light rain but won't fish in a downpour and get far off the lake if lightening is a possibility. Hate to fish when it's real windy but will if they fishing is good. I'm not much of a cold weather fisherman. I more in to comfort than anything. I pretty much will crappie fish anytime from mid March up to early December. Ramps tent to get icy the rest of the year here in Central KY.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre spawn

My favorite fish to fish is pre spawn with a water temp in the mid 50's to 60. I prefer slightly dirty water but none of the lakes I normally fish are clear so that isn't an issue. I almost aways fish with jig heads and when I use bobbers they are slips.

fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I fish for crappie year round in all kinds of weather. The main thing to remmember is you have to find the fish and then find what bait will work best on that day. I fish jigs with homemade soft plastic jig bodies. Sometimes under a boobber, sometimes straight lining, sometimes weighted and sometimes casting. The weather does make a difference in your catch but you just have to try to figure out what will work. Color of bait I have found is different on different days and conditions. All I know for sure is that wether you catch them or not at least you are fishing!!

MAY YOUR BOBBERS SUBMERGE AND YOUR LINES BE TIGHT!!
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast