Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll, painted jig heads or non painted, who uses what?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poll, painted jig heads or non painted, who uses what?

Have any of you found out that a painted jig head will out fish a non-painted head? Some guys i know won't fish with anything painted, others swear they catch more fish using a painted one. Just wandering. Me, i am using painted, mostly Chartruese, sometimes a pink. I have NO proof that the painted one's work any better, i think it's really a cosmetic thing, fished for years without the eye catchin' painted heads and caught a bunch of fish. Thanks for playin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Heads.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    Have any of you found out that a painted jig head will out fish a non-painted head? Some guys i know won't fish with anything painted, others swear they catch more fish using a painted one. Just wandering. Me, i am using painted, mostly Chartruese, sometimes a pink. I have NO proof that the painted one's work any better, i think it's really a cosmetic thing, fished for years without the eye catchin' painted heads and caught a bunch of fish. Thanks for playin'.

Hi, Lum......I use powder paints in different colors (for different conditions) in black, chartruce, white, red, pink and green. The crappie may not care, but it makes me feel better to match colors with light conditions, stained or muddy waters, and shallow or deep. What I like most about painting the heads is being able to paint contrasting eyes, and I spend the time to make them look like real eyes instead of just a dot on the head. If the truth be known, I think the eyes make the most difference, the more lifelike, the better.......but that's just one ol' coot's opinion. Be safe, heavy stringers, and teach a kid how to fish........

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be the bummer on this one, but it eveidentally has alot to do with location though. I have fished alot of areas in Alabama and Tennessee and I can tell you my catch ratio was 100 to 1 on a nonpainted head over a painted head. I hardly ever even fish a painted head at all anymore. Sometimes I still have a little success using a pink head with white jig, but not very often. I am not trying to sway anyones fishing style, "except FATBOY, lol", I am just telling that the difference is overwhelming for me by using the nonpainted head.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I use both.

I just started using painted jig heads again. I use to use them all the time when fishing at Patoka Lake. But the last two years when I really got hot about fishing again I started using plain lead head jigs. I just picked up a couple paks of the TeeZur Chartruse colored minnow head jigs and I have tried them once so far. I caught a crappie out of a huge school that was suspened at 20ft over 35 to 40 ft of water. They were about 100ft out from a drop off and it was around 4 pm when I caught the fish. It's sometimes very hard to get the crappie to bite when they are suspended out over open water but they do hit a jig now and then if you hang it right in front of their noses for a while. Last winter in Dec I managed to catch several crappie in a similar situation using plain lead head jigs. In both cases I was using southern Pro like hollow tubes tipped with a Berkeley Chartruse colored crappie nibble. Now minnows will work better I am told but I seldom use minnows these days. I do use them once in a while and tip my jigs with them or fish with a drop shot and a plain gold thin wired hook with a minnow on it.

I am heading up to Patoka today to do some fishing with Larry-Southern IN and will report back on how many jigs I use and what I catch. I am thinking about drilling a small hole in my TeeZur jig heads to insert some 40lb test fishing line just so that it sticks out and blocks the hook point from the brush. I cut the line to about 1.5" long and superglue the fishing line into the hole. This works like a brush guard.

bottom line is that I am not sure if the painted jig heads catch more fish than the non painted or not. It all depends on the situation and what the fish are biting on any particular day.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default We use both

I use unpainted insert jigs in most of my tubes, but I use painted heads on grub bodies. Doug likes painted most of the time. We have noticed that jigs that have a red eye/black pupil seem to out perform other eye colors when crappie fishing. I like to tie small (1/32 oz) black bucktail jigs on a chart head with a white eye/black pupil for trout and that is very effective, probably because it looks like a little fry. Mike Simpson of CrappieMagic makes a terric minnowhead jig with lifelike eyes that worked well for us on crappie this summer. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow In my jighead arsenal ...

I'm about 90% "unpainted" and 10% "painted". I use weedless jigheads about 98% of the time ... Oldham's Surelock's and P&S Tackle ball head jigs with "brush" weedguards, neither of which is painted. The one "jig" I do use, that "is" painted, is a Roadrunner ... and I do much better on Chartreuse or Pink, than on White. ............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default paint

I use what goes along with the color of jig I am using - most of the time it is chartreus or black - sometimes it might be red
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Unpainted for me also, I have used both but I seem to catch more fish on unpainted. I've often wondered why myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I use unpainted with red hooks, seems to to the job quite well for me. I fish mostly clear water with visability of about 5'. The only exception is when I fish a black/chartreuse jig I will sometimes use a black jig head.
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Crappie Guide
    I use unpainted with red hooks, seems to to the job quite well for me. I fish mostly clear water with visability of about 5'. The only exception is when I fish a black/chartreuse jig I will sometimes use a black jig head.
    What type of line do you use in that clear of water?
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast