Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone flyfish for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone flyfish for crappie?

Would be interested in talking to anyone in Arkansas (any where in the state) that fly fishes for crappie. Thanx, Flyrod Man

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie

Several years when we had our place at the lake right before sunset the crappie would go on a feeding frenzy. The site looked like white bass on the surface chasing minnows to the surface before slamming them. The first few times I witnessed this I used a flyrod with a plain hooked tipped with a minnow. I then purchased some flies that looked like minnows and would cast in the area where I saw the schools of minnows jumping, and the crappie would hammer it. The crappie I caught doing this weren't big, only 9 to 10 inches but none the less still fun to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly fishing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrod Man
    Would be interested in talking to anyone in Arkansas (any where in the state) that fly fishes for crappie. Thanx, Flyrod Man

Flyrod Man.....I lived in AR 14 years and fly fished the White/ Buffalo and the Little Red rivers. Did more crappie fishing than anything else, but learned to tie flies and applied it to crappie fishing by tieing minnow imitations. Like
    crappie66 I didn't catch big numbers or big crappie, but I had a great time wading the buckbrush in the spring. More fun than a man ought to have.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default PoBoy's Fly Fishin

In the truest of Fly Fishing, fly casting, etc. no. However, in the spring during the spawn in the shallowest of water, I use a fly style rod and a 1/80th ounce Grizzly jig or 1/48 ounce Slater jig to pitch and hunt for bedding crappies. It's my favorite and it only lasts a few weeks out of the year.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Samples

P.S. The picture of me and the two crappie on the home page of my website was caught this past spring on Lake Greeson using the style I just described (pitching a light jig in shallow water). I was fishing with Jerry Blake and it would have been more fun if I'd been using my flyrods. The secret is to mark your line at about 18" and keep the jig swimming at that depth.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Fly fishing for Crappie under a cork

I love to use Streamers, weighted nympths, and 1/124th oz micro jigs in the Spring, and Summer Crappie seasons. Many times I put these baits under a small ice fishing bobber. This helps with bite detection, and with weight in order to cast way up into shallow water. I find that staying farther back, and making longer casts helps to net me more of the spooky, spawning hogs.

More often than not, I keep a pole rigged up with 2 1/124th oz jigs tied 15" apart ready at all times. I only use Fireline for this presentation, and can normally cast the two jigs about 30' if the wind isn't hindering me. The slow fall that these jigs provide are deadly on Crappie.

I have used yarn -strike indicators instead of ice bobbers with all of these baits too. I think those create too much air drag when I am trying to flip, or cast. But they do help in detecting those minute takes that a Crappie delivers at times. Kind of like when Trout are sipping midges!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly rods.

Hey Darryl:

They make 2lb leaders that are about 9ft long. They come in a package and have a loop in the butt end so that you can interloop them to the end of a fly line. What I did was to use a nail knot to attach a short sections of heavy duty fishing line to the end of my fly line. I then tied a loop knot in the other end of the stout fishing line. Then I can easily switch leaders when ever one gets bad. I just insert the leaders loop though the loop on the short butt section of stout fishing line and then slip the other end of the leader though it's loop. The two loops will interloc and you have a new leader attached to the end of the fly line. I didn't invent this but got it out of my Orvis Fly Fishing Book. From about 1970 until today I really got into fly fishing. All my past vacations were targeted for fishing with my fly rod in the Smokey Mountains. At home I fly fish for bass, bluegills and even crappie. I caught my biggest crappie at patoka Lake on a fly rod in 6 to 10ft of water in one of my secrete honey holes. It weight 1.5 lbs which is a good crappie for this small 8800 acre lake with no Threadfin shad in it. It's a lot of fun fishing with a fly rod. I was actually trying to duplicate a slip bobber settup and instead of using my short graphite spinning rods I set up one of my grapite #5 weight fly rods to use this system. Believe me if you want to have some fun try a fly rod. It's like trying to catch a shark with a limp piece of spagettie. LOL A fly rod makes even the smaller fish a lot of fun to catch.

I was going to use some streamer and or hair nymphs. Crappie will feed on aquatic insects until they start chasing minnows. So the smaller crappie may key in on aquatic flies that look like nymphs of the draggon fly, Caddis Fly or the mayfly. As the crappie get older they like to go for flys that imitate minnows. The steamers may be good.

Once at Patoka Lake a long time ago I caught a lot of small black crappie with my fly rod.

I also like to cast small jigs using a short 5ft long untra light spinning rod and ultralight spinning reel with 4lb test line. But that setup can give you a lot of headaches if the line coils a lot and loops interfer with casting. I have gotten away from casting just a jig as there is not enough weight to keep the line tight on the reel when I cast out and reel in a few times. I end up spending more time fixing birds next and taking line off the reel than I do fishing.

I would think that a fly rod would be a great way to search for spawing crappie in shallow water on a calmn spring day. You can use it to fish the edge of a weedline also.

I purchased a sinking tip fly line last year and tried it out a few times. Then I got into drop shotting and tightlining jigs and the slip bobbers with jigs and have not use any of my 5 fly rods in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    P.S. The picture of me and the two crappie on the home page of my website was caught this past spring on Lake Greeson using the style I just described (pitching a light jig in shallow water). I was fishing with Jerry Blake and it would have been more fun if I'd been using my flyrods. The secret is to mark your line at about 18" and keep the jig swimming at that depth.
    Regards,

Moose1am