Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Today was a good day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Today was a good day!

I kinda have to make this quick, as i need to shower, change and go over to my grandma's house to start eating those fish.

Woke up at 7am this morning, and took the cooler of minnows i have had in my frig for a week out to Walnut Creek for some morning crappie fishing, after an hour and 30 min and changing locations 3 times, i got nothing. So i shot over to Halleck Pond where they stocked 900 rainbow trout on St. Patty's Day to see if i could have some luck there, once again turned up dry.

Bout 11 am i picked up something to eat and went over to Offutt Lake to eat lunch and enjoy some peace and quiet, after i got done, i chose to go home and relax, as i neared the exit i decided to pull over and try my luck one last time. I chose a 1/8oz white roadrunner with a grey minnow trailer that Snakebite was nice enough to include in my order from him last fall. Third cast, i nailed something big! Bass actually bent the hook upward but i pulled him in and put him in the cooler, bent the hook back, 4 casts later, BAM! Nailed another one, little bit smaller. Sun disappeared behind the clouds for a good 5 - 7 min before it came back out again, no more than 2 min after that, nailed another one! After the third decent one, i threw 5 back because they were too small.

I changed to a Bluefox shallow spinner that was blue/green. Caught a few little wipers on it, then something big nabbed it! I thought, it must be another bass. NO! This was a crappie, a fat one! I alternated between the little wipers and big crappie. Finally called it quits about 3pm. I'll post pictures of the rigs i used. For now, here is shot of the catch i made.

And to think, i was thinking about going home and missing out on this! Like i said, today was a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun to me!! Go eat and enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a fun day Chris, hope you and Grandma enjoy the fish fry. Keep on ketchin em. Ferdi aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

What state were you in bro? Those were some dandy black crappie there and a well written report to boot.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice .....
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Good going Chris I hate to give up empty handed too. They will bite if you give them what they want. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Nice haul, sir...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W View Post
    What state were you in bro? Those were some dandy black crappie there and a well written report to boot.
    Eastern Nebraska.

Just got back home, grandma is gonna freeze them and we'll enjoy a cookout tomorrow or Saturday.

2 crappie were females, one had about 15 - 20 eggs, the other had 3 eggs. 2 bass were females and they didn't have any eggs. The wooden stick at the bottom is about 14". As you can see the crappie were pretty close to 12".

First rig is what i caught the bass on.

Second one is what i caught the crappie on and another one cept it was more of rainbow trout color.

I should mention i had the Kickin' Crappie juice on both the spinners.

One guy came over after i caught the first crappie and started fishing the spots around me and turned up empty handed, i told him he needed to slow his retrieve down. He started catching a few nice size bluegill and crappie when i packed up my stuff.

I'll more than likely be back out again, early in the morning and late in the afternoon tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch and nice pics!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report, enjoy dinner.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around