Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: FOR: Friends of Reservoirs??

Post Thanks / Like

Default FOR: Friends of Reservoirs??

I'm just starting to do some research on the not-for-profit organization "Friends of Reservoirs" and thought I would come to the experts. If anyone knows anything about the org., whether it's good or bad, please shoot me a p.m.

I would appreciate any links or names/e-mails of websites and people who have started a chapter or served in any capacity.
    My understanding, so far, is that these groups are formed to help improve fish habitat, work to preserve reservoirs from siltation by stabilizing erosive banks, help build wing dams to prevent wind erosion, etc.....but again, I'm just learning about the org, so this may not all be 100% correct. Please tell me if I'm wrong

Thanks for any and all input

vic

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, am a "Friend" of CJ Brown Reservoir (Buck Creek State Park ) in Ohio. Over the last 4 yrs we have placed 875+ attactors into said body of water with permission from and following the guidelines of ODNR and the US Army Corps of Engineers. We are non profit, solely privately funded and totally dependant upon volunteer labor. We also try to do an annual "litter pick up" around the Park and have collected about 100 bags in those 4 yrs. COE and ODNR and the Ohio Dept of Parks have ALL been very cooperative and helpful in our endeavor. The cover SEEMS to be helping the overall panfish population, particularly the yellow perch which had seemed to be declining in numbers recently as the result of decomposing of their former spawning cover. 4 yrs later their overall numbers AND size seem to be rebounding, and the cover provides good crappie spawn cover also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowellhturner View Post
    Sir, am a "Friend" of CJ Brown Reservoir (Buck Creek State Park ) in Ohio. Over the last 4 yrs we have placed 875+ attactors into said body of water with permission from and following the guidelines of ODNR and the US Army Corps of Engineers. We are non profit, solely privately funded and totally dependant upon volunteer labor. We also try to do an annual "litter pick up" around the Park and have collected about 100 bags in those 4 yrs. COE and ODNR and the Ohio Dept of Parks have ALL been very cooperative and helpful in our endeavor. The cover SEEMS to be helping the overall panfish population, particularly the yellow perch which had seemed to be declining in numbers recently as the result of decomposing of their former spawning cover. 4 yrs later their overall numbers AND size seem to be rebounding, and the cover provides good crappie spawn cover also.
    Thank you Lowell. Just the kind of info I'm looking for. A few of us are thinking of starting a chapter for Smithville Lake in Mo, but frankly we are just a bunch of blue-collar guys...we don't know the first thing about forming a not-for-profit. We wanted to be sure the org was a good one before tackling the paperwork involved. I'd especially like to hear from someone who has gone through the process of forming a chapter to help us get through the red tape.

vic

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, I only have 4 solid suggestions to offer; #1: Come up with a reasonable plan that is easily doable with a small crew. #2: Present it to the local State Wildlife division for their comments, often they will have booklets available loaded with useful info. Ask for their opinion and then arrange formal meeting with them, the Army Corps of Engineers, Dept of Parks, ect (the "Powers that be") Bring an example of what you hope to place for their inspection. #3: Seek sponsors/ donors if possible. Cement blocks with casting flaws can usually be gotten very cheaply, County, Village and Township Engineers will usually be willing to bring you Christmas trees, storm downed limbs, ect. Bigger chain DIY stores (Lowes, Home Depo, ect) will often donate or very cheaply sell torn bags of cement, PVC, warped 1X1s and 2X4s. Some Corperate gas stations might donate gas cards. #4: Assembly WILL BE your Achilles Heel. COUNT ON people to have stuff "suddenly come up", get sick, ect. Sinking the stuff usually goes very quickly, surprisingly ! BUILDING THEM is the HARD PART; so plan accordingly. 1 last bit of advice: strongly SECURELY build the attractors; for instance "C" trees should be VERY tightly secured to their anchors, try NOT to use hemp or nylon rope. NOTHING will dicourage the "Powers that be" than finding several free floating Christmas trees. And ENSURE that enough weight is used, ADD 10 hole red bricks if necessary they are good crayfish attractors. GOOD LUCK, sir.