Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: condos outlawed in mississippi

Post Thanks / Like

Default condos outlawed in mississippi

just read on mississippi wildlife-fisheries forum that putting anything in public waters that is not biodegradeable is unlawful. brought about because hand grablers used pipe and other materials to catch cat fish by raising the man made cat houses. looks as though we can only use cane or tops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck in your states.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you read it wrong..."It is unlawful to place structures such as plastic or metal barrels, hot water tanks, concrete pipes, tires and other non-biodegradable materials in any public waters of the state."

I don't think PVC falls under the plastic barrel. The 55 gallon drums they are trying to outlaw have residue in them they don't want in the water...As for the bio-degradeable issue, I think I could argue that pvc pipe WILL break down over time...2,3 hundred years....and poof they'll be gone...

I don't think they have issue with PVC pipe. I asked the GW befoore and will even start a post asking the experts on www.mdwfp.com
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 05-08-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a post on here from a MDEFP officer. And he stated only Wood may be placed in Ms waters.
    I can see the cotton poison barrels there bad . but PVC I don't see.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait
    Well, I guess this is why GOD made night...Either way, I do all my drops under the cover of darkness anyway just so prying eyez don't see.
    I bet they heard that you received all that PVC. LOL
    But that is the best way to do it.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, pete. i don't understand the thing about plastic pipe, either, since most of the water we drink flows through plastic pipes. it couldn't be because the plastic pipe contaminates water. i think the boys at ms dwfp made their job easier by just saying "plastic pipe" instead of putting diameter restrictions on the use of pipe. i doubt there are any flat head catfish small enough to get caught in a piece of 3/4" pipe. the sad thing about this is that all the goodhearted sportfishermen who're trying to improve fishing by putting out condos are being penalized because of the actions of a few hand grablers. i would appreciate all you guys voicing your opinions by logging on to the dwfp forum, reading the post about "NEW HAND GRABLING REGULATIONS', and replying to the post. this is a very serious situation in which, in my opinion, the masses were ignored. thank you for your time-----john

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what's going on in MS but in other areas, "man made structure" is a concern due to the hazards to marine navigation...i.e. it'll tear up someonoes lower unit if the water drops.

Post Thanks / Like

Would have to agree with the state guys...no plastic or other non-biodegradable stuff in our lakes...period. The our means the guys who don't fish too. When you stop to think it all makes sense. Is it the right thing to do ...leave something in the water than will be there years and years after your children's children are only someone's memories. Our fish condos are someone else's pollution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castoff
    Would have to agree with the state guys...no plastic or other non-biodegradable stuff in our lakes...period. The our means the guys who don't fish too. When you stop to think it all makes sense. Is it the right thing to do ...leave something in the water than will be there years and years after your children's children are only someone's memories. Our fish condos are someone else's pollution.
    as long as the goverment takes the old ships out and sinks them i think condos shouldn't even be a concern. There would be way more pollution from left over fuel and oils even after the best cleaning job. clean pvc aint never hurt anyone. jmo

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think PVC pipe ever was responsible for tearing up anyones lower unit. I'd rather hit a piece of pipe than all that fishing line people throw back in the water after they just got a birds nest in thier reel. If you drop a condo in the water at a "safe" depth then you shouldn't ever hit it anyway. The other places that they will be dropped are usually on shallow flats and they are marked. You shouldn't be running more than idle speed in those areas regardless of whether or not there is pvc pipe or wood stake beds in the area.

You can say what you want but there is no proof that I have seen that says pvc is harmful to our waterways. If someone "reliable" says something different then that is another story.

Now people have to be smart about where they drop their beds. The creek I fish in doesn't even see a ski boat. They don't even put in at the ramp to get to the main river. If you have lot of recreational boaters i.e. water skiers, wave hoppers and the like then you want to use beds in areas where the water is deep or out of the way shallow areas with the beds marked appropriately for others to see. We don't want anyone getting impaled on a stake bed.

COMMONSENSE is all that is needed.

Bottom line is that responsible people placing structure in appropriate places does not harm the enviornment and it actually generates money for the state and others. Go to Big Sandy for instance and wipe out all the structure that has been placed there and there will be more than one group of pepole that will be ready to have a "hang'n". Business owners in both Camden and New Johnsville would have a fit becase money is generated by the people that come there to catch fish. Take out the structure and the fish become more scattered and more difficult to catch. The state doesn't receive the money for out of state liscences and the sales tax that is charged. Motels and bait shops would close.

You may think this is extreme but it is not.

I benefit every weekend that I go fishing from some guy that drove stake bed after stake bed into the creeks I fish. He did it because he like to fish and wanted to improve the fishery in that area. Pollution? It's just not true.
    Last edited by CrappieHound; 05-12-2006 at 10:33 PM.

ProWhirleyBee Guest

Oh the Government always opposes anything the people like. If men, women and children can drink running water out of PVC pipe it must be safe. I think the fishermen should storm the Capitol building in protest.

I think they should have a special law about allowing them but have some stipulations on placement in areas out of the main navigation and require a certain depth for them to be underewater. A waterskier could fall on one or a jetskier etc.

On second thought it might not be a bad idea to place them in areas with jetskiers and other useless wake makers. (hehe)

ProWhirley

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast